"soweto" Soweto by 1gorams
Soweto Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 135 photos
soweto is short for southwestern township. soweto is located just outside johannesburg. it was home to nelson mandela and still home for archbishop desmon tutu. some parts of soweto are basically squatter area's. nelson and desmon lived in a nicer section of the township.
desmon is an archbishop and a defender of racial equality. desmon won the nobel peace prize in 1984.
this was nelson's first home, he lived here for about 15 yrs. it is now an historic site and receives many visitors each day, the house is right down the street (vilakazi st.) from tutu's. there are many original items in the house, including furniture, clothing and awards presented to him. this place is a must see. nelson won the nobel peace prize in 1993.
- Pros:alot of original historic items inside.
- Cons:go early, otherwise can get crowded.
- In a nutshell:soweto, home to 2 nobel prize winner's.
1gorams' Related Pages
Soweto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "16 June 1976 - Youth Day"
- "Soweto - not what we expected"
- "1 Brief View of Life in Soweto"
- "Don't take the tour bus!!"
- "SOuth WEst TOwnship ~ Soweto"
- "Soweto - South Africa's child"
- "Wow, what an experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Soweto
- Hotels in Soweto
- Transportation in Soweto
- Nightlife in Soweto
- Restaurants in Soweto
- Warnings and Dangers in Soweto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Soweto
- 0 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Soweto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Soweto
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Robben Island Intro, 4 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Temple of Abu Simbel Intro, 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vatican City Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Soweto Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pyramids of Giza Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue