"Van der Stel's forest" Top 5 Page for this destination Stellenbosch by Doempie
Stellenbosch Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 267 photos
Stellenbosch was founded in 1679 by the second Governor of the Cape Colony, Simon van der Stel. The name, Stellenbosch, may be directly translated as "(van der) Stel's forest" and is situated on the banks of the Eerste River about 50 km (30 mi) away from Cape Town, a mere 40 minute drive. It is also surrounded by the breathtaking mountain scenery of the Jonkershoek valley which supplies visitors with a variety of hiking trails.
Stellenbosch is the second oldest European settlement in the Western Cape Province of South Africa (after Cape Town) and is therefor rich in cultural heritage. Some of the most beautiful old buildings can be viewed by taking a simple walk down the peaceful Dorp Street.
The Stellenbosch Wine of Origin area consists of over 100 wine cellars, most of which are open to the public for tasting or viewing purposes.
Stellenbosch is also situated close to the beautiful Franschoek, also known for its production of good quality South African wine. The areas of Paarl and Wellington also offer a large number of wine farms and is also less than 30 minutes drive from Stellenbosch.
A wide variety of wine tours can be booked through the Stellenbosch travel agencies.
Stellenbosch is also home to one of South Africa's top Universities. The Stellenbosch University students are nicknamed Maties and has produced some of the countries top athletes and sporting heroes. But like most universities, campus is not only great place to start your tertiary education but also filled with vibrant inexpensive pubs and food shops. The main University campus also includes some of the oldest buildings in town. Simply taking a walk around campus is a must do!
On the university grounds there are also several hiking and Mountain biking trails.
Just be sure to check the University holidays depending on whether you want a quiet walk through campus or if you want to behold the hussle and bussle of the Stellenbosch student going about their usual routine.
- Pros:Beautiful historic area with great wine!
- Cons:Even though crime is not as bad as in most of SA, you should still be very aware of your surroundings...
- In a nutshell:Beautiful wine country!
A very small market (about 20 stalls, all filled to the brim) specializing in local crafts. They mostly sell wood... more travel advice
The food is mostly mediteranean, but it also includes a large variety of other wonderfully prepared dishes. There is a... more travel advice
Doempie's Related Pages
Stellenbosch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Van der Stel's forest"
- "Stellenbosch: history, wine, and more ..."
- "Wine and more wine"
- "The Oak City"
- "STELLENBOSCH - PICTURE POSTCARD PERFECT!"
- "Cape Wineries"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stellenbosch
- Hotels in Stellenbosch
- Restaurants in Stellenbosch
- Shopping in Stellenbosch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stellenbosch
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Stellenbosch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stellenbosch
Photos in StellenboschSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stellenbosch Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Knysna Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Santiago Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Paternoster Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Colchagua Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Franschhoek 1 review, 3 photos
- Stormsrivier Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- South Africa Intro, 1 review, 2 photos