"Why is a southern Californian in New Bern?" New Bern by JayMon

New Bern Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 146 photos

The People

Learn to drive with one hand in New Bern, you'll always be waving with the other. Back in Los Angeles, where I am from, traffic comes to a halt at every accident so everyone has a chance to gawk at another's misfortune. Looky-loos. I was amazed that it was the same here, but rather than Looky-loos, they're "Helpy-Loos. Everyone is in a race to get their jumper cables and tool boxes to help-- and probably give them an invite to their next barbecue!

The Historic Neighborhoods

My wife and I never knew that we would want to live in a historic house. We loved the town and expressed that by visiting the local B&Bs several times over the course of two years. Finally, we hired a Realtor to show us homes in a five mile radius of the B&B (downtown historic district). We liked the reasonable prices, but something wasn't clicking. Arriving back at the B&B, my wife showed me a listing for a home a few blocks away. "We can stop by and see it on the way to the airport." We saw it in a fireman's rush but knew instantly: This 135 year old house was the home we'd been waiting for! That was 2002 and we love it even more. Walking distance to restaurants, events, and the waterfront.

• Last visit to New Bern: Feb 2007
  • Intro Written Feb 15, 2007

Comments

JayMon Lives Here!

JayMon

“Don't Worry, Be Happy! Another trip is coming soon!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in New Bern

Have you been to New Bern?

Latest Activity in New Bern