"Kuwait" Kuwait by Birgie

Kuwait Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 746 photos

The Gulf War

I came to Kuwait to meet my inlaws who lived there at the time. It was three years after the Gulf War. Since I was going, a newspaper editor asked me if I would mind getting a story about the reconstruction and my impressions so I made a grand effort to do everything and see everything I could.

Living in Kuwait

I spent three months in Kuwait in the Spring: April, May and June. It got unbelievably hot by June - up to 140 degrees! Overall I liked it very much. Most people were very friendly and hospitable. They enjoyed showing me the sights. The Kuwaitis are proud of their country and traditions. I got a little crazy and went "local" - doing henna and dressing in Arabic dresses and gold jewelry. It was fun. My favorite things were the unexpected adventures - food - the beach and just meeting people.

Gulf Arabian Culture

Since I thought I was some sort of "foreign correspondent" I made an attempt to get as close to the Kuwaiti culture as I could. I had a couple of very nice Kuwaiti girlfriends there who indulged my need to see and do everything and the differences between us were often amusing!

One thing I loved about the culture is the hospitality. I felt very welcome and encouraged to socialize with other women - Kuwaiti, Palestinian, Iraqi, Jordanian or from other countries. It was very nice to feel included and also to get to know about other cultures. We don't really know what people in the Middle East are like on an individual basis from what we see in the U.S.

• Pros:It was an exciting place, luxurious and exotic
  • Cons:A bit scary at times
  • In a nutshell:An intriguing modern place that still retains the desert roots.
  • Last visit to Kuwait: Dec 1993