"The sublime Erfurt...." Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt by Maryimelda
Erfurt Travel Guide: 298 reviews and 912 photos
VT friend christine.j introduced me to Erfurt through her wonderful travel pages, so I was intent on getting there when I was staying in Hannover for a few days. I certainly was not disappointed and I will always be thankful to Christine.
My visit to Erfurt was unfortunately cut short (two hours short to be precise) due to a mix-up in platform numbers at Goettingen Bahnhof. Changeover time was given as four minutes, but not to worry, the connecting train was to leave from the opposite platform to the one on which I arrived. Hence it was simply a matter of getting off one train and walking a few meters to board the next. Sounds good in theory but due to some glich the platform for the departing connection was changed at the last minute to leave from several platforms away, necessitating going down the stairs and walking quite some way along the subway to the requred platform. To simplify this I should just say that I arrived on platform 3 expecting to board the connection on platform 4 as my ticket and the overhead signboards on the platform stated. But due to some technical glich the connection was rerouted to leave from platform 11 and the passengers involved in the changover learned about the change way too late to make it. The bad news was that the next train to Erfurt was two hours off. Now not one to let small details such train schedules get to me, I decided to take advantage of the two hours that I had to have a little walk around Goettingen to see what I could see (but that's another page altogether.) Suffice to say that I missed out on two hours more time in the wonderful Erfurt and Goettingen, although a very nice little city, was not much of a consolation prize.
When I walked out of the bahnhof at Erfurt, my first feeling was very encouraging. I don't think I can explain exactly why but I just felt that this was going to be a city worth seeing even though it was a bleak and miserable day. The area in front of the train station was bright and clean with a Tourist Info office in plain view. So I went and picked up the obligatory map and I was on my way.
In recent times Erfurt has been in the news on account of the infamous massacre of April 26, 2002 when an expelled student of the University, Robert Steinhauesser took a gun and shot thirteen teachers, two students and a police officer before turning the gun on himself.
This was not the only massacre to ever take place in Erfurt. Way back in the 14th century, 100 Jews were rounded up and slaughtered because the Jew were believed to be the cause of the Black Death. The rest of the Jewish population were forced to leave the town.
The University of Erfurt proudly claims Martin Luther as it's most prodigious graduate.
Erfurt was known in the Middle Ages as the world centre for the woad trade. Woad was the blue fabric dye which was used before the introduction of indigo. It is still used to some extent in Erfurt today.
- Pros:An attractive city that is easy to wander around.
- Cons:I just wish I'd had that extra two hours.
- In a nutshell:One of Germany's well kept secrets.
Although the Domplatz was only named so in 1945, the busy square has been in existence for centuries. It was and still... more travel advice
The Fischmarkt is the main square of Erfurt. It is home to the Rathaus primarily and to many of the most beautiful and... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Erfurt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "No effort to like Erfurt"
- "The old part of Erfurt is just beautiful"
- "Opera in Erfurt"
- "The sublime Erfurt...."
- "Erfurt - Rome of Thuringia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erfurt
- Hotels in Erfurt
- Transportation in Erfurt
- Nightlife in Erfurt
- Restaurants in Erfurt
- Shopping in Erfurt
- Warnings and Dangers in Erfurt
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Erfurt
- 22 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Erfurt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erfurt
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 334 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 51 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Erfurt hotel reviews
- Sorat IBB Hotel Erfurt
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Opera Hostel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2012
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 23, 2012
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Radisson Blu Hotel Erfurt
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- InterCity Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Pension Reuss
- 2 Reviews & Opinions