"Freiburg im Breisgau, fine once you find it....." Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau by Maryimelda

Freiburg im Breisgau Travel Guide: 411 reviews and 1,079 photos

First impressions......

I have to admit to being more than a little disappointed when I first arrived in Freiburg as so many people had recommended it to me and at first sight, I couldn't for the life of me, see what all the fuss was about. It was just a well ordered city completely surrounded, or so it seemed, by the Black Forest. The city centre was OK, but no better than many others I'd seen in that part of the world. I just could not work it out.

Church spires.......

I decided to make the most of my time in Freiburg by heading for all the church spires I could see. By doing so, I figured that my time would not be completely wasted. I started off with Die Herz Jesu, followed by St Martin's in the Rathausplatz. It soon became apparent that the loveliest parts of Freiburg were around the churches. I started to see very clearly why so many people recommend this city, for in actual fact, it is truly beautiful.
By the time I found the Muenster, I was convinced. Frieburg im Breisgau is many things but certainly NOT a waste of time.

Back to the Hotel, tired but happy.....

My penchant for church spires led me, at the end of a very fruitful wander, to the Maria Hilfe Kirche which was right across the street from my hotel. It was a fitting end to a perfect day.

• Pros:Wonderful churches and precincts.
  • Cons:None, once you get your bearings.
  • In a nutshell:It hides its light under the proverbial bushel.
  • Last visit to Freiburg im Breisgau: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2013

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Thanks Kate, interesting small town. I like those German sausage!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I loved reading your impressions of Freiburg, Kate. I am glad you got to like the place, even if it didn't have the 'wow factor' straightaway. Some of your pictures of Freiburg's churches are great, as are your tips for exploring the Black Forest. Cheers!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

An excellent page about one of my favorite towns in Germany !

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

G'day, Kate! I would like to return to this city some day....

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Nice tips on one of my favourite German cities. Thanks for including tips on the Freiburg Theatre (one of my main reasons for going there) and the buskers on the market square.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM

I didn't have anything like enough time here so enjoyed your tour very much. You had much sunnier weather too!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Really enjoyed discovering Freiburg with you. Loved the intro - it's happened to me elsewhere that at first I thought there was nothing to a place, then came to appreciate it once I'd explored properly :-)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Enjoyed the browse Mary. We could pass through next year. Hugs xx

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Excellent page. I saved some of your tips (hotel and restaurants) in my Travel Planner. Going to Freiburg in September. Thank you.

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I had better not trip in that drain, can't have two wives!

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Freiburg im Breisgau

Have you been to Freiburg im Breisgau?