"Where two great rivers meet - Koblenz" Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz by Maryimelda
Koblenz Travel Guide: 346 reviews and 825 photos
Koblenz is an ancient Roman city (more than 2,000 year old) which is famous for being situated right where the Rhine and the Mosel rivers meet. I had two short nights in Koblenz enroute to Bacharach. It was a very good starting point for the Palatinate and as always, I wished it could have been longer.
My hotel (Hotel Rheinkrone) was the cutest little establishment set high on a hill overlooking the Rhine and all over Koblenz. It was both beautiful and peaceful all at the same time.
My VT friend christine.j and her husband Martin, came to Koblenz to meet up with me. It was wonderful to see them again and especially to show off our photos of our new grandchildren who had all been born since last we met in Heidelberg in 2009.
They took me for a wonderful visit to the magnificent Marksburg Castle which overlooks Braubach not far from Koblenz. After a guided tour of the castle we enjoyed a relaxing lunch at the castle restaurant where we sat outside and enjoyed great views over the surrounding countryside. My time with them was all too short, but I can only hope that we will all meet up again in the future.
Christine and Martin left me at the train station in time for me to meet up with a friend from home who was able to have a couple of nights on the Rhine with me. We spent the afternoon and evening just strolling around the old city and enjoyed a wonderful steak dinner at an Argentinian Restaurant in the main square.
Next morning we left a very foggy Koblenz, on the KD Ferry bound for St Goarshausen where we met up with another VT friend, Trekki (Ingrid). There followed four wonderful days in the best of weather exploring places in the Palatinate which were well and truly off the beaten track.
I am so indebted to Ingrid for taking the time to show me her beloved Palatinate.
- Pros:Great starting block for the Rhineland Palatinate
- Cons:Not enough time with old VT friends
- In a nutshell:Gateway to yet another beautiful area of Germany.
Yes, as the sun sets in the west, we must say goodbye to Koblenz. I was so fortunate to be staying at the Hotel... more travel advice
To say that this part of the castle was a bit grim and gruesome would be a gross understatement. Here there are... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Koblenz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castellum apud confluentes"
- "Koblenz, like my 2nd home"
- "Opera in Koblenz"
- "Where two great rivers meet - Koblenz"
- "koblenz germany"
- "Koblenz, Coblenz, Confluentia"
- "A Day in Koblenz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koblenz
- Hotels in Koblenz
- Transportation in Koblenz
- Nightlife in Koblenz
- Restaurants in Koblenz
- Shopping in Koblenz
- Warnings and Dangers in Koblenz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koblenz
- 15 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Koblenz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koblenz
Photos in KoblenzSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 205 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues