"Where two great rivers meet - Koblenz" Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz by Maryimelda

Koblenz Travel Guide: 345 reviews and 824 photos

I arrive in the Rhineland

Koblenz is an ancient Roman city (more than 2,000 year old) which is famous for being situated right where the Rhine and the Mosel rivers meet. I had two short nights in Koblenz enroute to Bacharach. It was a very good starting point for the Palatinate and as always, I wished it could have been longer.

My hotel (Hotel Rheinkrone) was the cutest little establishment set high on a hill overlooking the Rhine and all over Koblenz. It was both beautiful and peaceful all at the same time.

Catching up with old friends

My VT friend christine.j and her husband Martin, came to Koblenz to meet up with me. It was wonderful to see them again and especially to show off our photos of our new grandchildren who had all been born since last we met in Heidelberg in 2009.

They took me for a wonderful visit to the magnificent Marksburg Castle which overlooks Braubach not far from Koblenz. After a guided tour of the castle we enjoyed a relaxing lunch at the castle restaurant where we sat outside and enjoyed great views over the surrounding countryside. My time with them was all too short, but I can only hope that we will all meet up again in the future.

A stroll around Koblenz

Christine and Martin left me at the train station in time for me to meet up with a friend from home who was able to have a couple of nights on the Rhine with me. We spent the afternoon and evening just strolling around the old city and enjoyed a wonderful steak dinner at an Argentinian Restaurant in the main square.

Next morning we left a very foggy Koblenz, on the KD Ferry bound for St Goarshausen where we met up with another VT friend, Trekki (Ingrid). There followed four wonderful days in the best of weather exploring places in the Palatinate which were well and truly off the beaten track.

I am so indebted to Ingrid for taking the time to show me her beloved Palatinate.

• Pros:Great starting block for the Rhineland Palatinate
  • Cons:Not enough time with old VT friends
  • In a nutshell:Gateway to yet another beautiful area of Germany.
  • Last visit to Koblenz: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2012

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM

great pics of the Marksburg that bring back wonderfull memories, as it is one of those castles that is quite genuine, when it comes to the interior !

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Kate, it was a pleasure meeting you again and exploring the Marksburg together.I agree, the kitchen was spectacular and I also remember the story of the enemies crawling up through the toilet. A horrible thought!

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Koblenz

Have you been to Koblenz?

Photos in Koblenz