"Super, Sunny Spain" Spain by Maryimelda
Spain Travel Guide: 56,605 reviews and 151,092 photos
My first impression of Spain when I crossed over the Pyrenees from St Jean Pied de Port to Ronscavelles back in 2002, was how much the open Spanish countryside reminded me of the Australian Outback. This was all forgotten of course whenever we passed through a village or city or when I had my first glimpse of the wind power machines on the distant hills. We had long wanted to walk the Camino to Santiago de Compostela but thought it might be prudent to drive it first to see what we might be letting ourselves in for. But more of that on my Santiago de Compostela page.
We left Santiago de Compostela on a rainy Sunday morning and in keeping with what was fast becoming a pilgrimage, we headed for Fatima in Portugal. Sadly Fatima didn't measure up in our estimation, to either Lourdes or Santiage de Compostela, so after a quick coffe and snack we retraced our steps to Porto and headed east along the Doures River. We crossed Portugal from west to east in one afternooon, but what a spectacular afternoon it was. It was as though we were part of a perpetual picture postcard. The mountains and countryside were so very lush and green. By nightfall, we crossed the border back into Spain and settled for the night in Salamanca.
We spent the next few days exploring Salamanca, Toledo and Avila. Anyone who has visited all or any of these wonderful places will know how I felt being there. It was almost as if I was in a dream of fantastic proportions. The history that abounds in these three cities alone is more than I could possibly take in all in a few days, but I tried and was totally gobsmacked on an hourly basis. By the time I flopped on the grass outside the massive wall surrounding the old town of Avila, I wondered if there could be any more to see in the entire world. I must have seen it all by now, surely. This all happened in the first two weeks of my first trip to Europe. Thirteen years years and eight trips later, I now know that it doesn't matter how many trips I make, there will always be more to see.
13 YEARS ON AND I FINALLY RETURN
It took me till 2015 to return to Spain and indeed to the Camino. My son Billy decided he'd like to walk the Camino and invited me to tag along after a fashion. I travelled in trains and buses and caught up with him in the major centres every five or six days. I had plenty of time to really explore the St James Way which I had only seen very briefly the first time. By the time we left Santiago de Compostela I felt like a pilgrim myself. It was the experience of a lifetime for me.
- Pros:More economical than many European destinations
- Cons:Nothing that couldn't be overlooked
- In a nutshell:A lifetime is not long enough to take it all in.
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Spain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Espana!"
- "The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain"
- "More than this..."
- "VT meeting in Madrid"
- "A Method to the MAD(ness)......and the players!"
- "Bienvenido a Espana - Welcome to Spain."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spain
- Hotels in Spain
- Transportation in Spain
- Nightlife in Spain
- Restaurants in Spain
- Shopping in Spain
- Warnings and Dangers in Spain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spain
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spain
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 72 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues