"Chur.....just for the night" Top 5 Page for this destination Chur by Maryimelda

Chur Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 381 photos

Breaking the journey....

From Zermatt, I was headed for Salzburg, but felt that an overnight stay, somewhere along the way, was required to break the journey. So out with my trusty map, a good look at some VT travel pages and I came up with Chur.

Two birds with one stone.....

When I found out that Chur is on the route of the Glacier Express which runs from Zermatt to St Moritz and back, I decided that this was a good way to kill two birds with one stone. If I was going to spend five hours on a train it might just as well be spent on a train that is considered a "Thing to Do" in its own right. The good thing was that, having a Swiss Flexi pass, meant that I could ride the Glacier Express for 30CHF.

Just enough time....

Chur turned out to be the perfect spot for an overnight stay. I arrived and was settled into my very nice hotel by about 4pm. So I set off for a walk around town and ended up at the Cathedral for 6pm Mass. Back to the hotel for a wonderful dinner in the restaurant there and then an early night.
Next morning I had a very relaxed breakfast and was off on my way to Salzburg at about 11am.

• Pros:Friendly, helpful residents.
  • Cons:Badly signed hbf.
  • In a nutshell:Quite simply, a lovely place for a relaxing overnight stay.
  • Last visit to Chur: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 11, 2010

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Kate, lovely little page about Chur here. Your hotel really seems to be a good find. Greetings from Switzerland. - Oh and thanks a lot for visiting my Trieste page. The city is indeed well worth seeing.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Dec 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Hi Holger, Thanks for visiting my little Chur page. It was indeed a very pleasant little overnight break betwen trains. Hope you and Sonja are enjoying the festive season. A very Happy New Year to you both.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Nice place for a stop over...Id really enjoy exploring here...Thanks for the little tour!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM

How nice to be welcomed nicely at the Hotel, it really sounds like a good find!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Chur is a place I mostly drive through, as I prefer the high mountains,but for a stop-over it is obviously a great place to go !

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Nice stopover for the night. I bet the scenery from the Glacier Express was beautiful. I was educated by Jesuits in Sydney.

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Chur