"Looking Lovely Lucerne" Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne by Maryimelda
Lucerne Travel Guide: 959 reviews and 2,762 photos
I have written before about first impressions of places and how disappointing they can be. I have learnt however, that you sometimes have to go find the reasons that people go to see a place because there's a big chance that the best of the town/city will not be situated right outside the main train station. Not so in Lucerne. From the moment I stepped outside of the station I could see why people rave about its beauty. My first thought was that if this is what you get so close to the train station, what magnificence was there still to be found further afield. Obviously, I was eager to go and find out.
I thought it was quite warm when I arrived in Lucerne but in my excitement I didn't think any more about it. My hotel room was not ready so I left my luggage and headed for the boat terminal to do the Golden trip to Mt Pilatus.
Eager for some good photos enroute, I decided to sit out on the deck only to find that after a few minutes, I was feeling terribly hot, so for comfort's sake, I moved inside under cover. My trip to Pilatus was great, but I was dressed in a long sleeved jumper and jeans and really felt the heat to the extent that I thought I was still in Australia not in Switzerland. Most of the people on top of Pilatus were in short sleeves, or no sleeves at all. I found out when I finally returned to Lucerne and checked in to my hotel that it had been 35 degress Celsius that day!!!! No wonder I felt hot and the worst of it was that the temperature remained in the 30's for 5 more days of my trip and as far north as Hannover. Seems that everyone else in the world had heard about the heat wave in Europe except me.
I have always known that Switzerland is not one of the budget destinations in Europe, but it seems to me that my last visit in 2009 cost me quite a lot less than this one. Had I realised this before I planned my trip, I would not have done anything different. Switzerland is a magnificent country and worth every penny.
- Pros:Sheer beauty at every turn.
- Cons:Like everywhere else in Switzerland these days, it is almost prohibitively expensive in comparison to my last visit to this country.
- In a nutshell:Don't stop at Kappelbruecke, there's much more to be found further on.
Getting to Lucerne from the airport in Zurich is quite simple if you choose to go by train. The trains are quite... more travel advice
This is a large and airy shop which is chock full of souvenirs and gifts. It is easily identified by the wonderful... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Lucerne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "one of the most scenic cities in Switzerland"
- "Lucerne - my favourite city of Switzerland"
- "Lucerne and surroundings"
- "Looking Lovely Lucerne"
- "Lucerne - Luzern"
- "LUCERNE. A Beautiful Medieval Town!"
- "EVERYBODY GOES TO LUCERNE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lucerne
- Hotels in Lucerne
- Transportation in Lucerne
- Nightlife in Lucerne
- Restaurants in Lucerne
- Shopping in Lucerne
- Warnings and Dangers in Lucerne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucerne
- 29 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Lucerne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucerne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 205 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues