"Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn" Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt by Maryimelda
Zermatt Travel Guide: 536 reviews and 1,497 photos
When I got off the train in Zermatt, I took one look at the street in front of the station and fell in love with this fabulous place. It's bustling, crowded, busy and beautiful all at the same time. Zermatt is the epitome of Swiss atmosphere. It is hard to imagine a little town which can be so very busy with visitors and holidaymakers but still have that lovely Swiss ambience and feel about it. Can you tell that I loved being there?
For two days I tried to get a decent shot of the Matterhorn, but sadly it was covered by grey clouds either wholly or partially all the time. Sometimes the cloud would move and you could see a little more of it than an hour ago and all the cameras would be out and clicking, but it was hopeless. I was convinced that this mountain was alive and breathing, the feeling was spiritual and the more I looked at it the more I wanted a good picture. I could fully understand how it cast a spell on so many people who were moved to climb it. I arranged to go to the Gornergrat to get a closer look, but the hotel clerk showed me the weathercam on top of the mountains and assured me that I would be wasting my money. So I persisted in taking a photo every so often when I thought there was a little more of it to see. By nightfall on the second day I was muttering to myself "mongrel thing! you're enjoying this!" Then on the morning of the third day (when I was to leave Zermatt) I woke up quite early and opened the window to swear at it for the last time and miracle of miracles, the sky was clear and there it was in all its glory, clear as a bell. I grabbed the camera and ran up the steps to the viewing deck on top of the hotel and clicked away and whilst I was doing so, in a matter of moments, the sun came up over the Matterhorn and turned it gold! I was so gob smacked that I forgot that I was standing on top of the hotel in a public place in my nightdress and bare feet!
Even if you are unlucky as I was, to miss out on going up closer to the Matterhorn due to bad weather, don't despair. There is so much to do in Zermatt and all contained in a relatively small space. You will be kept busy, I can assure you.
- Pros:A compact town that is easy to negotiate.
- Cons:None, so long as the Matterhorn is cooperating.
- In a nutshell:I could easily go back.
This area of Zermatt is not often mentioned probably because, by comparison with the rest of the town centre, it is... more travel advice
There is a really lovely path that runs on both sides of the River Vispa through Zermatt. On a clear day, this makes for... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Zermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- "Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn"
- "Matterhorn Collection"
- "Zermatt and the Matterhorn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zermatt
- Hotels in Zermatt
- Transportation in Zermatt
- Nightlife in Zermatt
- Restaurants in Zermatt
- Shopping in Zermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Zermatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zermatt
- 24 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Zermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zermatt
Photos in ZermattSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 205 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues