"Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn" Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt by Maryimelda

Zermatt Travel Guide: 556 reviews and 1,570 photos

Love at first sight....

When I got off the train in Zermatt, I took one look at the street in front of the station and fell in love with this fabulous place. It's bustling, crowded, busy and beautiful all at the same time. Zermatt is the epitome of Swiss atmosphere. It is hard to imagine a little town which can be so very busy with visitors and holidaymakers but still have that lovely Swiss ambience and feel about it. Can you tell that I loved being there?

The mountain with spirit......

For two days I tried to get a decent shot of the Matterhorn, but sadly it was covered by grey clouds either wholly or partially all the time. Sometimes the cloud would move and you could see a little more of it than an hour ago and all the cameras would be out and clicking, but it was hopeless. I was convinced that this mountain was alive and breathing, the feeling was spiritual and the more I looked at it the more I wanted a good picture. I could fully understand how it cast a spell on so many people who were moved to climb it. I arranged to go to the Gornergrat to get a closer look, but the hotel clerk showed me the weathercam on top of the mountains and assured me that I would be wasting my money. So I persisted in taking a photo every so often when I thought there was a little more of it to see. By nightfall on the second day I was muttering to myself "mongrel thing! you're enjoying this!" Then on the morning of the third day (when I was to leave Zermatt) I woke up quite early and opened the window to swear at it for the last time and miracle of miracles, the sky was clear and there it was in all its glory, clear as a bell. I grabbed the camera and ran up the steps to the viewing deck on top of the hotel and clicked away and whilst I was doing so, in a matter of moments, the sun came up over the Matterhorn and turned it gold! I was so gob smacked that I forgot that I was standing on top of the hotel in a public place in my nightdress and bare feet!

So much to do.....

Even if you are unlucky as I was, to miss out on going up closer to the Matterhorn due to bad weather, don't despair. There is so much to do in Zermatt and all contained in a relatively small space. You will be kept busy, I can assure you.

• Pros:A compact town that is easy to negotiate.
  • Cons:None, so long as the Matterhorn is cooperating.
  • In a nutshell:I could easily go back.
  • Last visit to Zermatt: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 15, 2010

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Enjoyed your page Kate. Your hotel looked nice. Matterhorn, with 2 night stay I doubt if we will match your photo.

May 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Glad you liked the page Mike. Hope you got some good ideas from it.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM

It's good that Zermatt is car-free. (Except for a few electric taxis.)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I LOVE the early morning shots and can certainly share your frustration about the clouds as that has happened in some places that i came a long way to see something just to have it covered with clouds the whole time. The scenery looks magnificent!

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Thanks for stopping by my Zermatt page Val, glad you liked it.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Thanks Kate for the tour of Zermatt! I've heard of the Matterhorn--in Disneyland--but have never heard of Zermatt. I'm glad you finally had the opportunity to get the lovely golden photo before you left!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I love that photo of the Matterhorn, though I had to smile at the image of you in your nightdress standing on the hotel roof to take it ;-) Worth it though!

Great page too Kate - loads of info, helpful tips and some interesting photos. I enjoyed your travelogue about Miss Matterhorn and I like the look of that hotel should I ever come this way.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Wow! What a fabulous year you have ahead of you Sarah. I am looking forward to bringing my son and daughter in law (complete with two grandchildren) to Europe in September/October. He wants to see Venice and she wants to see Paris and I can't bear a trip to Europe without having time in Germany, so I have chosen to use Augsburg as our base for Bavaria. The kids are going to make things different from my usual trips but we couldn't bear the thought of leaving them behind. We'll finish off in Rome and fly home from there. It will be a lot of "going back" stuff for me but I am looking forward to seeing it all through their eyes.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 26, 2013 at 4:20 AM

That sounds wonderful!

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM

We didn't make it to Zermatt, in a way, thankgoodness seeing there is a shop full of Cow's and another close by full of Chocolate! It was bad enough the other half finding cemeteries to look at, without finding the other!
    We didn't see any Alpenhorn's either, which was a pity, but we did drive alongside the Glacier Express railroad for quite a way.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

It is always sad when young people pass away, but if it happens whilst doing what you love, then I think it is beautiful.

• Zajem's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Very nice tips of Zermatt. Thanks for sharing!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Kate, fabulous page about Zermatt. It brings back many memories of our time in this lovlely mountain resort. Your hotel really seems to be a good find.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Interesting Zermatt page. I never would have thought to visit the cemeteries. I was there 28 years ago and would like to get back there some day.

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Zermatt

Have you been to Zermatt?

Latest Activity in Zermatt