"Up the Romantic Road to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber.." Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber by Maryimelda

Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Guide: 601 reviews and 1,864 photos

So it's popular with tourists, so what?

Rothenburg is one of the places I have been warned off more than many others because "there are so many tourists there". Personally, I did not find this a problem in any way shape or form, in fact, I think that especially from a shopping/restaurant point of view, Rothenburg would not be as interesting without us tourists flocking there every year. After all, why have dozens of interesting little shops and dozens of wonderful restaurants if there are not enough people to patronise them? Rothenburg has stacks of both, but first and foremost it has history and beauty in staggering proportions.

A broken record.....

I know I must sound like a broken record at times because I go on and on and bloody on about strolling around a town first to get a feel for the place and to decide a plan of action for the in depth scrutiny to follow. My roam around Rothenburg was fascinating, with wondrous things around just about every corner. I got so carried away with my roaming that at one stage I found myself well and truly outside of the wall and wandering a green and leafy country pathway. Just beautiful.

In conclusion, may I say.....

Anyone travelling the Romantischestrasse in Bavaria, needs to allocate at the very least, two nights in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber. This beautiful place will knock your socks off!

• Pros:Where do I begin?
  • Cons:Not a one to be found....
  • In a nutshell:A jewel in the crown of Bavaria, don't miss it.
  • Last visit to Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 13, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

You make some very valid points about not being put off by large numbers of tourists - after all, these places are popular for a reason! I would still want to try to avoid the worst of the crowds however. I think staying overnight can make a big difference in a place like this, as however popular it may be at least some of the visitors will be day-trippers and will leave at some point ;-) Besides, an overnight stay gives you longer in which to enjoy the very tempting restaurants you describe!

Thanks for sharing your impressions of Rothenburg - a lovely page :-)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Sep 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Thanks for your visit to my Rothenburg ODT page Sarah. I really enjoyed my time there although I can understand that it is not for everybody.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Although I often visit other parts of the Tauber Valley – especially Weikersheim for the open-air opera performances in the castle courtyard – I have somehow never gone the extra few kilometres up to Rothenburg. Perhaps I’ll go there this summer, after reading your enthusiastic tips.
    "Opera and cycling in Weikersheim" - Weikersheim by Nemorino

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Fabulous page mate! :o) Nice trip down memory lane....those quaint shops were lovely hey :o) Yes, we really enjoyed the accommodation too! Thanks for checking out my page. Hugs, Ann xx

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2012 at 5:17 AM

You will not believe it, this is one of the villages in Germany that I still have to visit. Next time definitely. Thanks for all the lovely info you have provided.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Sep 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Don't be put off going to Rothenburg by those people who complain that it is full of tourists. The reason that it is sometimes full of tourists is because there is plenty to see. I would suggest spending a night or two to give you that time after the daytrippers have left to experience Rothenburg without the crowds. Thanks for visiting.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM

An excellent page Kate, I know the buildings, churches and flowers were fabulous, however I must make it to the restaurant where you had the magnificent afternoon tea. Will send page link to Jill.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Thank you Kate for bringing back memory about this beautiful city! Great VT-page!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2011 at 5:46 AM

Was here when driving around visiting German christmas markets - with snow everywhere - beautiful place - yes its a bit crazy when people say not to go here or there because its too touristy!

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I saw a Knight in shining armour in one of your photo's. I wonder how many of them they sell? I would hate the other half to see it, may become a greeter at our front door!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM

interesting stuff

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I went here a couple of times, and it always holds such architecture. YOu did a nice job of taking pictures and making comments.

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Have you been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Photos in Rothenburg ob der Tauber