"Simple but superb Saarburg....." Saarburg by Maryimelda
Saarburg Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 65 photos
Saarburg is one of those little gems that you hear not much about. I only found it because I was looking for a half day trip to do during my stay in Trier and through research where else but on VT, I found this magical little place a short train ride away. The medieval town stands on the banks of the Saar River and is well known as a wine region.
The main attraction of Saarburg is a waterfall which cascades right through the middle of the city and can only be described as "roaring". It is a credit to the people, how they have made this feature even more beautiful by building bridges and planting colourful flowers and shrubs all around. The main path of the waterfall is surrounded by outdoor eateries and little shops.
The very colourful houses of the fishermen and mariners of Saarburg can be found in the lower part of the town right on the banks of the River Saar. The houses are marked with motifs of fish, hooks, anchors etc. that point out to visitors that the fishermen and mariners lived here. Saarburg was often inundated at high tide until canals were introduced to the river and a high protective wall was built against the high tides in 1987.
The entire Saar region teems with history, much of which is recorded in the museums in the town. This wonderful place will astound you. If ever you are in the area, please take time to call into Saarburg.
- Pros:So much to see in such a small place.
- Cons:I didn't discover it sooner.
- In a nutshell:The best way I can describe it is "delightful".
In 1657 This building was built as an electors mill. It was later to become a power station. In 1935 the electric compay... more travel advice
I have seen the waterfall described as a natural feature of Saarburg and I have seen it described as artificial. I think... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Saarburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Simple but superb Saarburg....."
- "Small town with lots of atmosphere"
- "Germany of the Many Castles!"
- "Saarburg a more than 1000 years old town"
- "SAARBURG GERMANY"
- "Little beauty on the river Saar"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saarburg
- 11 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Saarburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saarburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues