"Fairyland for Real......" Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg by Maryimelda

Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,584 reviews and 5,957 photos

Sunday night in Salzburg

June, 2007
Our hotel was a little gem. The Vogelweiderhof, which is situated about fifteen minutes on the bus from the city centre right next door to a tavern that sells extremely well recommended wheat beer. Our rooms were clean and neat and very well appointed and we couldn't get over the trays of fresh fruit and sweets that lined the hallways for the guests to snack on whenever they wished.
We settled into our hotel very quickly and couldn't get on the bus right outside the door,to take us to the city centre quick enough. It only took us a few minutes to track down our first beer garden - The Garden Restaurant. The atmosphere was just as we had always imagined. The beer was cold and the Schnitzel delicious.
By this time we were getting more than a little weary as it had been a long day, so we headed back to the hotel and had an early night in readiness for the next day when we wanted to be ready to explore this beautiful place.

A big, wonderful day......

Next daywe were up with the crows and after a wonderful buffet breakfast (included in the price) at the hotel, we were back on that bus and on our way again. Not a stone was left unturned in the city centre that day and of course the highlight had to be the visit to the fort. I lost Billy somewhere within those big stone walls, so i had no other option than to sit and enjoy a coffee whilst overlooking the city and surrounds from up there in the clouds. More schnitzel and beer that night (you can never have too much schnitzel) and it was time to return to the hotel and have a last late night coffee in the restaurant/bar there before heading to bed.
After a leisurely breakfast the following morning, we were ready to head off to the station bound for Munich. We bade Salzburg a fond farewell with every promise of coming back soon.

A promise is a promise.........

I promised to return and return I did. My return to Salzburg was a very important feature of my Europe 2009 trip. What a joy it was to come back.
This time I stayed in the pedestrian area of the old town and had everything at my fingertips. I walked for miles, and savoured all the places and sights that I had missed on my previous visit. It was sheer delight.

• Pros:Wonder around every corner......
  • Cons:Would I have gone back if there were any cons?
  • In a nutshell:A warmhearted little city with a radiant beauty all its own..
  • Last visit to Salzburg: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2011

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2014 at 1:58 AM

I hope to visit Salzburg soon.

Ciao!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Fine tips! Somehow I have never been to Salzburg up to now, even though I am a big Mozart fan. (Next Saturday I am going to see his opera Idomeneo again here in Frankfurt.)

I know a woman here who has written a delightful children’s book (in German) that takes place in the Mozart House after closing time.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Lovely page Kate! You brought back so many happy memories of our time spent here, I'm just sad that I didn't see the Horse wash you did, we saw the other! St. Peters was my favorite too, and isn't it amazing how all us tourists manage to see different places in the same City. Billy looks like he just wanted to get on with enjoying the Beer!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

What a lovely page, love the baroque garden :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Hi, Kate! Thanks for your breathtaking photographs that brought back my memories of our humble visit to this gem of Austria....

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I have found your page very interesting. I will save some of your tips for my future travel.

• bbunter's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Great new tips. Love this page.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 11:08 AM

It is such a wonderful city and the sites well worth the trip. Glad you enjoyed it here, and your presentation was well done

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Wow, now I want to visit Salzburg as well :-) Somehow I never made it there. I love this old town and especially the toy museum :-) Don't they have magic flower decorations in Austria? How sad that the Easter shop is no longer there!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2010 at 4:44 AM

Kate, this page brings back so many memories. Salzburg is such a special place.You were really lucky with your hotels, thanks a lot for the tips.

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Salzburg

Have you been to Salzburg?

Latest Activity in Salzburg