"Schriesheim, just a tram ride away from Heidelberg" Schriesheim by Maryimelda
Schriesheim Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos
Thanks to christine.j, I had a lovely visit to Schriesheim, which is a tramride away from Heidelberg. I couldn't resist the temptation to write the first travel page on this wonderful little place. Christine visits Schriesheim to buy wine from the co-op there. You can taste the wines to your heart's content and the prices are remarkable. I can especially recommend the Dornfelder Red (Trocken) if you are partial to a good dry red wine.
As usual, where historical buildings (especially castles) are concerned, Christine tells the wonderful legend of the knight who lived in the castle and who fell in love with the sword maker's daughter. However he was told in a dream one night, that he would marry the Emperor's daughter. He took the dream seriously enough to break off his relationship with the sword maker's daughter thus making himself available to marry the Emperor's daughter when the time came.
One day the Emperor came to visit and at a dinner given in his honour, he asked the sword maker's daughter to dance. He told her that she bore a very strong resemblance to a lady from Schriesheim whom he had once loved very much and with whom he had had a romantic liason. And so it came to pass that the young lady was not the sword maker's daughter at all, but she was the Emperor's daughter. Of course when the knight found this out he asked her to marry him and she accepted and I'm sure they lived happily ever after.
Christine feels (and I agree) that this must be a fairy tale because no woman in her right mind would take the cad back after being so unceremoniously dumped.
Just wander around this lovely little place, it only takes an hour or two. You will see some lovely houses and buildings all built in the shadow of the castle and the vineyards.
- Pros:The ambience, the wine......
- Cons:None whatsoever.
- In a nutshell:A very pleasant surprise.
You can catch Tram #5 from Bismarckplatz in Heidelberg and go right to the end of the line. When you alight from the... more travel advice
Back in the days of horse drawn carriages etc. it was common for the horses to kick and scratch the paintwork on the... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Schriesheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schriesheim, just a tram ride away from Heidelberg"
- "Schriesheim, Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schriesheim
- Transportation in Schriesheim
- Shopping in Schriesheim
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Schriesheim
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Schriesheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schriesheim
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 334 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 51 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues