"Tales of the Vienna Woods....." Wienerwald by Maryimelda
Wienerwald Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 73 photos
I can't believe that I did not make time for the Wienerwald (Vienna Woods) on my first trip to Vienna in 2007. For some reason it did not seem to be a priority back then, but thankfully I loved Vienna so much on my first visit that I had to return and this time the Wienerwald was high on my list.
The Wienerwald is about three times the size of Vienna, so a day doesn't seem to be enough if you want to see all the things you want to see. As you go through Baden and on to Mayerling and Heiligenkreuz, you will see so much that you wish you could stop and explore. The town of Baden alone, could keep me occupied for a few hours. Still, that's Europe for you. If you were to live to be 350 years old and travelled to Europe for six weeks every year, you still would barely scratch the surface. Sadly, it comes down to priorities.
There is not much in the way of public transport to get you around the Wienerwald. The best way to see it would be by car, I would think. I went on a tour with Vienna Sightseeing Tours, which I booked through my hotel for 43 euro. As tours go, it wasn't too bad. At least they kept moving all the time with no unwanted stops at plaster and ceramic factories, but there were so many times, that I would have liked to stop to take pictures or to look at a little town more thoroughly. For this reason, next time I will certainly rent a car for the day and hang the expense.
- Pros:A photographer's dream.....
- Cons:Too little time.......
- In a nutshell:How soon can I go back?
Seegrotte is the site of the largest subterranean lake in Europe. The lake was caused by a blast in the gypsum mine... more travel advice
There are trains and buses etc that will take you to various set points in the Wienerwald, however to get around to see... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Wienerwald Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Wienerwald
- Transportation in Wienerwald
- Shopping in Wienerwald
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wienerwald
- 9 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Wienerwald?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wienerwald
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Return Flights to Brisbane..."
- Wrote a Review Take something to snack on..... in Wienerwald Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seegrotte mine and underground lake....."
- created a Wienerwald Travelogue "More from the Monastery at Heiligenkreuz....."
- Commented on one of call_me_rhia's Wienerwald travel pages
Photos in WienerwaldSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues