"Diamond of the West Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Sligo by Maryimelda

Sligo Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 250 photos

Home away from home

I have a travelling friend who was born and bred in Co. Sligo in a small village called Collooney. He has lived in Australia for nearly twenty years now, but his family are all still in Ireland and so it is number one port of call on any trip to Europe.
Each time I arrive in Collooney, it has grown a little since the last time, but of course, even though we can't halt progress, the great thing about Ireland is that even the newer building developments have an old world feel to them. Building laws are very strict, so hopefully the landscape will remain as true to the traditional in the future as it has in the past and present.

It's a wonderful life.

The family live on the main street of Collooney, with the village butcher right next door and small markets at each end of the street. The Post Office is right across the road near the Hairdresser which is up the road a bit from the little cafe. Interspersed with all this are three wonderful pubs and the beautiful Parish Church is at the lower end of the street.
I'm always amused on Saturday evening after Mass, when most of the congregation file out of the churchyard and into Connolly's, the adjoining pub. By night's end most of them have wended their way up the street with a stop off at Cullen's Pub and finally to the Owen More at the top of the street. If you're hungry you can always pop into the Chinese take away, one door this side of the Owen More.
I never cease to be amused by the townsfolk when they leave the pub at night. No matter what their condition they call out "Good night, God Bless" to everyone they are leaving behind.

Why would you leave?

County Sligo is really beautiful. Sligo Town is a bustling little city about 15 kms from Collooney. Great for shopping and restaurants and a visit to the Cathedral is a must.
Around the countryside you will see Benbulben, Knock Na Rae, the Holy Well, Lough Gill, Mullaghmore, Glencar Falls and of course the Isle of Innisfree of W.B. Yeat's fame. The man himself is buried in the little Church of Ireland graveyard in Drumcliff, Co. Sligo, but some think that he is actually interred somewhere in France. Who cares? You'll still want to stand on his grave in Sligo for a photo, I'm sure.
Sligo is a great jumping off place for anywhere you want to go in the West Country and of course, to Northern Ireland. It's just beautiful and I can only wonder how anybody could leave there in this day and age. I often ask my friend that question and the best he can come up with is that he can't handle the cold weather. If it were me, I would throw another few sticks on the fire!

• Pros:Typical laid back friendly Ireland
  • Cons:I don't get there enough
  • In a nutshell:If ever there was a home away from home, this is it.
  • Last visit to Sligo: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2011

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

:-)) Wonderful!! I just saw a documentary about "Rough coasts of Ireland" and oh wow!! Only 30 km away is the Horse Riding Farm.... where this person desperately wants to have a nice fast ride. And they mentioned Temple House - do you know it?

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Aug 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Oh good! And maybe the master himself knows about it too :-)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Aug 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No I already asked him and he only remembers Oliver Cromwell's hanging tree at Markree Castle.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Great page! I like the look of Sligo Abbey. Now I have to remember to order white wine in an Irish pub! Somehow I doubt I will have the same success you did! :D

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Lovely tips on your 'home away from home'.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yeats, swans and western Australia - a good fit. The swans were the gift of the Yeats Society of WA, not the govt. they are the work of local sculptor, Joan Walsh-Smith. Anyone coming into Perth past Burswood will be be familiar with her wonderful swan fountain.

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Some solid tips here :-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Fabulous little page about Sligo, which I visited in the late 1990's. I even went on sidetrips to Rosses Point and Strandhill. I must admit that I never order Diet Coke in an Irish Pub. :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2010 at 1:48 AM

No wonder you enjoy it here, it looks stunning scenery! The waterfall is lovely, and isn't the surroundings so green, I guess it is green there all the time! Had another look, too far away for my eyesight!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Markree Castle looks really great and prices are reasonable, thanks for sharing !

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Markree Castle looks awesome...would love o stay there...Norman :)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Hi Maryimelda, Great Castle accommodation but a little price. Thiught you might have more tips. When I finalise my itinerary I will email you for comment & accommodation recommendation.

Maryimelda Visits Here Frequently!

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Sligo