"Diamond of the West Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Sligo by Maryimelda
Sligo Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 250 photos
I have a travelling friend who was born and bred in Co. Sligo in a small village called Collooney. He has lived in Australia for nearly twenty years now, but his family are all still in Ireland and so it is number one port of call on any trip to Europe.
Each time I arrive in Collooney, it has grown a little since the last time, but of course, even though we can't halt progress, the great thing about Ireland is that even the newer building developments have an old world feel to them. Building laws are very strict, so hopefully the landscape will remain as true to the traditional in the future as it has in the past and present.
The family live on the main street of Collooney, with the village butcher right next door and small markets at each end of the street. The Post Office is right across the road near the Hairdresser which is up the road a bit from the little cafe. Interspersed with all this are three wonderful pubs and the beautiful Parish Church is at the lower end of the street.
I'm always amused on Saturday evening after Mass, when most of the congregation file out of the churchyard and into Connolly's, the adjoining pub. By night's end most of them have wended their way up the street with a stop off at Cullen's Pub and finally to the Owen More at the top of the street. If you're hungry you can always pop into the Chinese take away, one door this side of the Owen More.
I never cease to be amused by the townsfolk when they leave the pub at night. No matter what their condition they call out "Good night, God Bless" to everyone they are leaving behind.
County Sligo is really beautiful. Sligo Town is a bustling little city about 15 kms from Collooney. Great for shopping and restaurants and a visit to the Cathedral is a must.
Around the countryside you will see Benbulben, Knock Na Rae, the Holy Well, Lough Gill, Mullaghmore, Glencar Falls and of course the Isle of Innisfree of W.B. Yeat's fame. The man himself is buried in the little Church of Ireland graveyard in Drumcliff, Co. Sligo, but some think that he is actually interred somewhere in France. Who cares? You'll still want to stand on his grave in Sligo for a photo, I'm sure.
Sligo is a great jumping off place for anywhere you want to go in the West Country and of course, to Northern Ireland. It's just beautiful and I can only wonder how anybody could leave there in this day and age. I often ask my friend that question and the best he can come up with is that he can't handle the cold weather. If it were me, I would throw another few sticks on the fire!
- Pros:Typical laid back friendly Ireland
- Cons:I don't get there enough
- In a nutshell:If ever there was a home away from home, this is it.
The courthouse in Sligo is a very impressive building indeed. The Dublin architect J. Rawson Carroll designed the... more travel advice
Sligo's favourite son was of course, the poet William Butler Yeats who is thought to be buried in the Graveyard at... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Sligo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sligeach: Land of my Ancestors!"
- "Diamond of the West Country"
- "Sligo - In Yeats Country"
- "Sligo, My First Adventure!"
- "Sligo & Leitrim Page"
- "Sligo Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sligo
- Hotels in Sligo
- Transportation in Sligo
- Nightlife in Sligo
- Restaurants in Sligo
- Shopping in Sligo
- Warnings and Dangers in Sligo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sligo
- 14 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Sligo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sligo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 205 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues