"Speyer on Saturday" Speyer by Maryimelda
Speyer Travel Guide: 331 reviews and 1,114 photos
In 2009, the City of Speyer celebrated its first official 2000 years, although recorded history dates it back in part, to the year 10BC. What an achievement! I was fortunate to see Speyer in the company of a local VT expert on the area i.e. Trekki (Ingrid). I find that seeing an important sity such as this with a local resident, makes an extremely huge difference to my appreciation of the city and in the case of Speyer I had a fabulous guide, indeed.
My first impression of Speyer was of an extremely neat, clean and very attractive German city which is laid out just the way I like - easy to navigate on foot.
Ingrid dropped me off at a little flea market whilst she went off to park the car and then the tour began. We started with a short but brilliant organ recital at the Protestant church across from the market and followed up with a walk through the streets to the renowned cathedral. We completed our visit with a visit to the Museum which was featuring a presentation all about the Salien kings. Lots of wonderful history there, I can tell you.
that there was kaffe and kuchen to be had in the course of the day and as always, Ingrid knew just where to go for the best on offer. I seem to recall having an ice cream or a decadent ice cream sundae in Speyer as well, but I might be getting lost amongst the maze of coffee, cake and ice cream stops that are obligatory on any trip to Germany.
- Pros:Well laid out city, easy to walk.
- Cons:The cake and ice cream are too good to refuse.
- In a nutshell:I enjoyed the day immensely.
The Stadthaus or Town House stands on the square in front of the Imperial Cathedral. It is a very attractive building... more travel advice
In the 19th century the artist Johannes Schraudolph and his atelier were commissioned to add heavy neo-Romanesque... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Speyer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the old cathedral & a great Technical Museum"
- "Speyer - European Heritage - Bishop's Seat"
- "WELCOME TO MY SPEYER PAGE ......:-)"
- "Underrated fun"
- "Inspired by Speyer"
- "Technik Museum Speyer"
- "A VT outing to a beautiful city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Speyer
- Hotels in Speyer
- Transportation in Speyer
- Nightlife in Speyer
- Restaurants in Speyer
- Shopping in Speyer
- Warnings and Dangers in Speyer
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Speyer
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Speyer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Speyer
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
Latest Speyer hotel reviews
- Rheinhotel Luxhof
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 4, 2012
- Hotel Domhof
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hotel Zum Augarten
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 10, 2012
- Hotel Loewengarten
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hotel Am Technik Museum
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Hotel Am Wartturm
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Alt Speyer
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2012
- Trutzpfaff Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 12, 2012