"My Tribute to Trier" Top 5 Page for this destination Trier by Maryimelda

Trier Travel Guide: 581 reviews and 1,457 photos

A real life history library......

Trier is of course, the oldest city in Germany. It is a Roman city which dates back to the 2nd century and consequently has history abounding by the truckload. I found myself without a minute to spare and I still didn't have enough time to see all I wanted to see.

Another walkable city....

This is yet another very walkable city. I love this about Europe. So many of its cities and towns can be enjoyed on foot but with the option of good public transport when necessary. Trier is no exception. It is easy to walk around, but it also has a wonderful bus system which is quite easy to negotiate, if you're feeling weary.

I will especially remember Trier because.....

I was trying on some clothes in the fitting room at C & A and when I had finished, I headed for the train station to take an afternoon trip to Saarburg. The train had just pulled out when I realised I had left my pouch containing my mobile phone and my house keys for home and one or two other small items in the fitting room. I jumped off at the next station and grabbed a taxi and went back to C & A only to find that the pouch was gone and had not been handed in. After putting the necessary stops on the phone, I continued on to Saarburg. Long story short, when I met up with my friend in Paris a few days later, he told me that my pouch had been found and was safe and sound. A very nice German lady had come into the fitting room after me and found it and showed it to her son in law who recognised it as belongng to an Australian. He then contacted his aunt who lives in Sydney, Australia and with info found on the phone she tracked down my son, Joel, who then contacted my friend, who was in Ireland at the time and when he met me in Paris, he was able to relay the good news. A few short weeks after my return to Oz, the parcel arrived with my phone pouch all intact. Hence I will always have fond feelings for Trier, not only because it is a wonderfully interesting city to visit, but because it is home to some very thoughtful and considerate people. I will always be grateful.

• Pros:Never a dull moment.
  • Cons:Nothing so bad that I can remember it.
  • In a nutshell:Here you will find the best of everything.
  • Last visit to Trier: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 24, 2010

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2012 at 6:46 AM

What a wonderful city, love the fountains and the gardens :) And how fortunate that there are honest people in the world and that you got your pouch back :)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Oct 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Hi Regina, I am glad that you enjoyed my Trier page and yes it is a wonderful city. I have a special place for it in my heart. By the way the two gentlemen that I bought the angels for have both made complete recoveries. They both still carry their angels with them. I will look forward to seeing your updated London page when you come back. Have a great time. Kate

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Oct 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Yes, imagine that, I find that so wonderful that they made complete recoveries!
      Thanks, cannot wait to visit London again.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

This town is a real"gem". If I ever visit Germany again I will make certain it is on our itinerary. Well done Kate.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM

What an interesting story of how honest people can go out of their way to help in need. You seem to have really enjoyed this nice town and its great heritage with so much Roman influence. Great comments and pictures

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM

i donyt know trier at all - so thanks for the intro

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM

The Roemer Express will be just the thing for me. Your opening page reminds me of somebody else that I know!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Nice page Kate

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2010 at 3:03 PM

thanks for the BiH comments etc; was in Trier in Sept 1970...a while back!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Excellent pages, Kate! I can understand why you like it here, so much history, and so Old, so many Churches, and nice gardens, really, something for everyone! You made me smile with some of your comments!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2010 at 2:59 AM

We have friends in Trier and have visited several times but I've never got round to creating a VT page. Loved reliving memories with your tips and discovering new things too :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Ah, thanks again Kate :-) You showed me many reasons to visit Trier one day, more than Porta Nigra :-) The hotel sounds nice and I love the stories of your pouch and the angels, very moving!

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Trier