"Be it ever so humble......." Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane by Maryimelda

Brisbane Travel Guide: 1,659 reviews and 3,738 photos

Brisbane - so nice to come home to

I love to travel. It's my very favourite thing bar none, but when I've seen what I want to see on a particular trip and the money is running out, I love to come home to Brisbane. It's the best place on earth.
I live in a particularly special part of Brisbane. It's an inner city suburb called New Farm and my unit block is situated right on Merthyr Park which is on the beautiful Brisbane River.
New Farm is really great and quite unique in fact. You can sit on a park bench in New Farm and see a bag lady coming one way and a grand old gentlemen with a poodle bedecked in a diamond collar coming the other way and the beautiful thing is that they both belong! This is home to both of them and no one even finds that unusual - the reason being that this is New Farm and here you have the best and worst of all worlds and no one seems to mind a bit. Everybody gets along beautifully.
Our major mode of transport in New Farm is the City Cat. City Cats are high speed catamarans which go up and down the Brisbane River from Bretts Wharf in the East to the University of Queensland in the West.
Then we have the little ferries which mainly cross the river from side to side.
The river is generously endowed with walkways and one can walk for miles through the city over one of the bridges and back through the wonderful South Bank, Kangaroo Point Cliffs and the Story Bridge or back down to Dockside and onto the little ferry back to New Farm. It's on these lovely long walks that I do all my daydreaming about where I am going to travel to next.

The Sunshine State welcomes you

Brisbane has gradually evolved over the last ten or twelve decades into a beautiful city and its river is its focal point. People come from overseas to Australia and of course visit Sydney and Melbourne, but not as many people come to Brisbane as they do to the southern states and this is such a shame because here in Brisbane we have so much to offer.
We have our share of wonderful history and some beautiful historical buildings, most of whch have a story to tell.
Our restaurants and night life, theatre and the like are right up there with the best of them. Why not come and see for yourself?

Christmas Lights

I'm so proud of the Christmas Lights display that we have put in place at the church where I am employed. The display is way too big to be captured in one still photo unless it is taken from a helicopter, but I have put in one or two just to give you an idea. Our efforts this year won first prize in the category of Church and Community Groups in the Annual 4KQ Christmas Lights competition (one of the biggest contests in Australia). Hundreds upon hundreds of people come to visit the display every night. Unfortunately the photos don't do it justice. You have to be there.

• Pros:The river, the relaxed lifestyle, the restaurants, etc. etc. etc.
  • Cons:There are none
  • In a nutshell:Once an ugly duckling now a beautiful swan.
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Kate, You have done Brisbane well! A really great write-up!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Fine tips and travelogue about your home city! I'm glad to hear that Brisbane has so much to offer, including the City Cats.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Aug 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Yes the City Cats are fabulous and I am very lucky to have them running right past my back door. Thanks for the visit Don, glad you liked the pages.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2012 at 3:01 AM

What a lovely page, I like your restaurant tips - lucky you going out to eat 3 times a week. Thanks for sharing :)

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Great tips. Thanks for sharing.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Another thing we have in common. My oldest son is also Timothy.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM

A Land Mullet is a Black Lizard that likes the Rainforest. Wappa Dam is on the Brisbane side of Yandina, I'm sure you would have seen the turnoff many times.

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

These tips are phenomenal! I'm thrilled that you received a Barney nomination!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2010 at 11:31 AM

You did a good job of showing the sites, and the comments well done. We have heard about all the rain-I hope they "weather" through it.

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I like all the Restaurant tips, you have given a good choice.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2009 at 4:42 AM

I love Christmas pictures too.

Maryimelda Lives Here!

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Brisbane

Have you been to Brisbane?

Latest Activity in Brisbane