"Be it ever so humble......." Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane by Maryimelda
Brisbane Travel Guide: 1,659 reviews and 3,738 photos
I love to travel. It's my very favourite thing bar none, but when I've seen what I want to see on a particular trip and the money is running out, I love to come home to Brisbane. It's the best place on earth.
I live in a particularly special part of Brisbane. It's an inner city suburb called New Farm and my unit block is situated right on Merthyr Park which is on the beautiful Brisbane River.
New Farm is really great and quite unique in fact. You can sit on a park bench in New Farm and see a bag lady coming one way and a grand old gentlemen with a poodle bedecked in a diamond collar coming the other way and the beautiful thing is that they both belong! This is home to both of them and no one even finds that unusual - the reason being that this is New Farm and here you have the best and worst of all worlds and no one seems to mind a bit. Everybody gets along beautifully.
Our major mode of transport in New Farm is the City Cat. City Cats are high speed catamarans which go up and down the Brisbane River from Bretts Wharf in the East to the University of Queensland in the West.
Then we have the little ferries which mainly cross the river from side to side.
The river is generously endowed with walkways and one can walk for miles through the city over one of the bridges and back through the wonderful South Bank, Kangaroo Point Cliffs and the Story Bridge or back down to Dockside and onto the little ferry back to New Farm. It's on these lovely long walks that I do all my daydreaming about where I am going to travel to next.
Brisbane has gradually evolved over the last ten or twelve decades into a beautiful city and its river is its focal point. People come from overseas to Australia and of course visit Sydney and Melbourne, but not as many people come to Brisbane as they do to the southern states and this is such a shame because here in Brisbane we have so much to offer.
We have our share of wonderful history and some beautiful historical buildings, most of whch have a story to tell.
Our restaurants and night life, theatre and the like are right up there with the best of them. Why not come and see for yourself?
I'm so proud of the Christmas Lights display that we have put in place at the church where I am employed. The display is way too big to be captured in one still photo unless it is taken from a helicopter, but I have put in one or two just to give you an idea. Our efforts this year won first prize in the category of Church and Community Groups in the Annual 4KQ Christmas Lights competition (one of the biggest contests in Australia). Hundreds upon hundreds of people come to visit the display every night. Unfortunately the photos don't do it justice. You have to be there.
- Pros:The river, the relaxed lifestyle, the restaurants, etc. etc. etc.
- Cons:There are none
- In a nutshell:Once an ugly duckling now a beautiful swan.
In 1936 a lovely olde worlde cafe called the Shingle Inn opened in Edward Street in Brisbane. It was a truly iconic... more travel advice
The trees forming this cluster of Moreton Bay figs are several hundreds of years old and are heritage listed. They stand... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Brisbane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BRISBANE - Capital of Queensland"
- "MY HOME"
- "Be it ever so humble......."
- "Home on the Range"
- "A big country town.................."
- "OK BRISBANE, HERE I COME"
- "BRISBANE – Out of ‘Moreton Bay’"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brisbane
- Hotels in Brisbane
- Transportation in Brisbane
- Nightlife in Brisbane
- Restaurants in Brisbane
- Shopping in Brisbane
- Warnings and Dangers in Brisbane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brisbane
- 52 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 51 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Brisbane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brisbane
Photos in BrisbaneSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 205 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues