"L'Isle sur la Sorgue - a wonderful getaway" Top 5 Page for this destination L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue by Maryimelda

L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 118 photos

Easy to fall in love with

L'Isle sur la Sorgue was a complete unknown to me until I read about it on VT.
I was looking for a base in Provence for a couple of weeks and it really seemed to fit the bill. When I arrived and had a short walk around Centre Ville, it was love at first sight.

A bit of background

The most striking feature of the town is the way it is built on many little waterways which of course means that it ends up joining the throngs of towns and cities in Europe with the "Venice" connection. Personally I think that all of these places have a charm of their own and so I find this frequent "Little Venice" connotation rather boring.

There are still approximately 13 (I think) water wheels situated along the waterways. These date back many centuries to when the town was a centre for woolen and textile mills and paper making and the like. The wheels can still be turned but they are no longer in use. They give L'Isle a wonderful ambience however and are a joy to avid photographers.

Antiques and Markets

L'Isle sur la Sorgue is thought to be the largest centre in France outside of Paris for antiques. It should be noted however, that because of the great reputation the town has for its antique shops, the prices can be quite inflated, I believe.

The street markets are absolutely amazing. Best I have ever seen. I ended up buying so much fresh food that of course, I had to leave a lot of it behind when I left as I just didn't have time to eat it all. Even now a year later, whenever I am really hungry, I have visions of the wonderful wedge of Roquefort cheese I left behind in L'Isle sur la Sorgue.

• Pros:Best markets ever.
  • Cons:Public transport is sparse at times.
  • In a nutshell:When I think of Provence I think of L'Isle sur la Sorge.
  • Last visit to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2012

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Mike, you should seriously think about this place and especially the apartment. Isle sur la Sorgue is a great base for Provence as you can do Avignon, Marseilles, Nimes and the Pont du Gard, very easily by train from there. If you have a car, then the sky is the limit. It is also a fabulous place for its markets on Thursday and Sunday, quite easily the best I have ever seen.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Looks like my sort of town, waterways, water wheels, parks and gardens and good cafes. A very nice apartment also, what a find!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Kate, I can see why you fell in love with here, just reading your tips has made me want to visit. I love all the waterways, can just imagine spending time beside them.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Thanks for stopping by L'Isle sur la Sorgue. One of my very favourite destinations.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Wow.. you found a real jewel here. Love the apartment, cafe, waterways, old buildings, think I'd want at least a month to savor it all.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM

It looks absolutely charming! Excellent page!

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Thank you so much for visiting my page. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. L'Isle sur la Sorgue is a special little place of mine.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2013 at 3:07 AM

It’s good that they have preserved some of those old water wheels, even if they are not in use anymore.

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Have you been to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue?