"L'Isle sur la Sorgue - a wonderful getaway" Top 5 Page for this destination L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue by Maryimelda
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 123 photos
L'Isle sur la Sorgue was a complete unknown to me until I read about it on VT.
I was looking for a base in Provence for a couple of weeks and it really seemed to fit the bill. When I arrived and had a short walk around Centre Ville, it was love at first sight.
The most striking feature of the town is the way it is built on many little waterways which of course means that it ends up joining the throngs of towns and cities in Europe with the "Venice" connection. Personally I think that all of these places have a charm of their own and so I find this frequent "Little Venice" connotation rather boring.
There are still approximately 13 (I think) water wheels situated along the waterways. These date back many centuries to when the town was a centre for woolen and textile mills and paper making and the like. The wheels can still be turned but they are no longer in use. They give L'Isle a wonderful ambience however and are a joy to avid photographers.
L'Isle sur la Sorgue is thought to be the largest centre in France outside of Paris for antiques. It should be noted however, that because of the great reputation the town has for its antique shops, the prices can be quite inflated, I believe.
The street markets are absolutely amazing. Best I have ever seen. I ended up buying so much fresh food that of course, I had to leave a lot of it behind when I left as I just didn't have time to eat it all. Even now some years later, whenever I am really hungry, I have visions of the wonderful wedge of Roquefort cheese I left behind in L'Isle sur la Sorgue.
- Pros:Best markets ever.
- Cons:Public transport is sparse at times.
- In a nutshell:When I think of Provence I think of L'Isle sur la Sorge.
If, like me, you want to see as much of the countryside as you can in the time you have available, then the way to go is... more travel advice
Chapelle des Penitents Blancs (Chapel of the White Penitents) dates back to 1742. Not much is known about the church... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "L'Isle sur la Sorgue - a wonderful getaway"
- "Venice in Provence!"
- "L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, 84800."
- "A village in Provence"
- "A Provence must-see"
- See All...
- Things to Do in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- Hotels in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- Transportation in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- Nightlife in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- Restaurants in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- Warnings and Dangers in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- See All...
Badges & Stats in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- 15 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- Posted in Travel Liechtenstein Forum "Re: Liechtenstein"
- Commented on one of Beausoleil's L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue tips
- updated a L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Travel Page "L'Isle sur la Sorgue - a wonderful getaway"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The wonderful waterways"
- Wrote a Review Great base for daytripping in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 72 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues