"First stop Strasbourg......" Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg by Maryimelda

Strasbourg Travel Guide: 902 reviews and 2,685 photos

My solo adventure begins.........

It's a long time since I travelled solo and I have never travelled in Europe alone till now. This trip I decided to go it alone for purely selfish reasons. I wanted to be able to go where I wanted to go and see and do what I wanted to see and do. So I farewelled my travel buddy in Paris and headed off on the IDTGV to Strasbourg. The next four weeks were mine to do with what I wished.

Where to begin........

I spent the first afternoon taking a train to Colmar and have reported this on my new Colmar page. After dinner I went to an Internet Cafe across the road from my hotel and refreshed my memory on the VT Strasbourg Travel pages so that I would know exactly where to begin the following morning. I decided that the best way to get off to a good start was to take the advice of Sally (beausoleil) who recommends the Batorama ride on the River Ill to get acquainted with Strasbourg and what it has to offer and at the same time to get my bearings. It was great advice, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

My kinda town......

Strasbourg like so many other European cities is indeed my kinda town. This means it is a city which is easy to walk around and where so much can be seen in a short space of time with very little effort. The cathedral is eye-popping to say the least as is the European Parliament. Petite France is gorgeous and just wandering around the streets with their lovely half timber buildings is a joy.

• Pros:Easy to wander around.
  • Cons:None come to mind.
  • In a nutshell:I'd go back tomorrow given half a chance.
  • Last visit to Strasbourg: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 1, 2009

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I'm glad we've decided to spend a day here, it looks lovely! Boat ride is at the top of the list :-)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Aug 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Thanks for dropping by Strasbourg with me Kristy. You will enjoy the boat ride, I am sure.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Thanks Kate for your wonderful writeup of your Strasbourg visit!!!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I love the half timbered houses, but the cathedral is just beautiful! Nice set of pages:)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Jun 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Thanks Val, Glad you liked them. It is easy to write a page about a place with so much to offer.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM

You made a lot of great updates here since my last visit !

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I love the half timbered houses. Would have been nice to get here, but couldn't go everywhere. Nice page!

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Sounds like you had a good time here. Lucky you behaved, as that Torture Tower sounds pretty horrific! Lots of good helpful tips on this page.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Hi Kate,thought I should look through your Strasbourg page again. This area might be better than the Rennes option. I need to do more work on what is on offer in this region. I note a Birthday coming.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM

We will be making a short stop in Strasbourg in April and I have really enjoyed your tour. It has given me such a good guide on how to spend the too little time we will have there. Very nice page Kate.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2010 at 1:47 AM

The "wine" villages near Colmar are lovely but you need a car to visit the area. Best time is end of summer. Avoid winter, thanks to global heating all EU has records of snow and no salt anymore for the roads! Merry Xmas and New Year.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM

The cathedrals and Torture tower is enough to keep me in line for a while. YOu did a very nice job of showing this lovely town and the comments well done.

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Strasbourg

Have you been to Strasbourg?

Latest Activity in Strasbourg