"The breathtaking Bacharach" Top 5 Page for this destination Bacharach by Maryimelda

Bacharach Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 331 photos

Just what I expected.

Bacharach was one of those places that was exactly how I expected it to be. My expectations were high from all the research I had done, but I was not to be disappointed on my arrival. I based myself in Bacharach for five days and from there saw so much of the Rhineland Palatinate thanks to my wonderful VT friend Ingrid (Trekki). It's a joy to be shown around an area by someone who obviously loves it all with a passion. Ingrid did not leave a stone unturned in our four day tour. But more of that later, right now I want to sing the praises of the breathtaking Bacharach.

A storybook town

Bacharach is indeed reminiscent of towns you might have seen in the Grimm brothers fairytales. To me it is totally unspoiled and I venture to guess that very little has changed physically since it first became part of the Palatinate way back in the 11th century. At that time due to prosperous trading in wood and wine, it was one of the wealthiest towns on the Rhine.

Here you can find the town wall still intact and open to the public to walk. There are seven town gates still standing.i

Great choice for a Rhineland base

All in all I have nothing but praise for Bacharach for its beauty, its historical interest, its location and its welcoming people. I would suggest to any prospective visitors who may be contemplating a day trip, that Bacharach is one of those places which you will really appreciate best if you have a "sleep over" so that after the daytrippers have left you will have this wonderful town almost all to yourself. Having said that, I didn't see too many hordes of people during my stay.

• Pros:Great locality and facilities
  • Cons:Restaurants seem to close early
  • In a nutshell:This town will amaze and delight you.
  • Last visit to Bacharach: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 28, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

It's great that you based yourself in Bacherach for five days.
    We had a very nice little VT meeting there in 2010.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Sep 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yes it was all the reports of that VT meeting that helped me make the decision to go to Bacharach. Having Ingrid with me made it so much better as well. Thanks for the visit Don, always appreciated.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

yes, Bacharach is one of the places every tourist should visit !

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Beautiful Kate! No wonder you loved it, I would too! What a beautiful hotel you stayed in, I wouldn't look anywhere else either!

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Bacharach

Have you been to Bacharach?

Latest Activity in Bacharach