"The breathtaking Bacharach" Top 5 Page for this destination Bacharach by Maryimelda
Bacharach Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 331 photos
Bacharach was one of those places that was exactly how I expected it to be. My expectations were high from all the research I had done, but I was not to be disappointed on my arrival. I based myself in Bacharach for five days and from there saw so much of the Rhineland Palatinate thanks to my wonderful VT friend Ingrid (Trekki). It's a joy to be shown around an area by someone who obviously loves it all with a passion. Ingrid did not leave a stone unturned in our four day tour. But more of that later, right now I want to sing the praises of the breathtaking Bacharach.
Bacharach is indeed reminiscent of towns you might have seen in the Grimm brothers fairytales. To me it is totally unspoiled and I venture to guess that very little has changed physically since it first became part of the Palatinate way back in the 11th century. At that time due to prosperous trading in wood and wine, it was one of the wealthiest towns on the Rhine.
Here you can find the town wall still intact and open to the public to walk. There are seven town gates still standing.i
All in all I have nothing but praise for Bacharach for its beauty, its historical interest, its location and its welcoming people. I would suggest to any prospective visitors who may be contemplating a day trip, that Bacharach is one of those places which you will really appreciate best if you have a "sleep over" so that after the daytrippers have left you will have this wonderful town almost all to yourself. Having said that, I didn't see too many hordes of people during my stay.
- Pros:Great locality and facilities
- Cons:Restaurants seem to close early
- In a nutshell:This town will amaze and delight you.
There are still a number of towers standing guard over Bacharach. Probably the most notable are the City Gate and... more travel advice
Bacharach has a wonderland of beautiful flowers and greenery which grow with abandon all over the old part of town.... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Bacharach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Rabbi of Bacharach"
- "Bacharach - a romantic village at the river Rhine"
- "Fine Wine on the Rhine (and beer, too!)"
- "The breathtaking Bacharach"
- "Wine villages along the Rhine River - Bacharach"
- "The God of Wine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bacharach
- Hotels in Bacharach
- Transportation in Bacharach
- Restaurants in Bacharach
- Shopping in Bacharach
- Warnings and Dangers in Bacharach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bacharach
- 9 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Bacharach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bacharach
Photos in BacharachSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 205 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues