"The best of Bamberg...." Bamberg by Maryimelda

Bamberg Travel Guide: 436 reviews and 1,347 photos

First impressions.....

One thing I've learned in my travels (and it's only recently that the penny has dropped) is that you should never judge a town or city by how it looks when you first come out of the Train Station or get off the bus. If you think about your own home town, there's a big chance that the main train or bus station in your town is in an area that is not necessarily attractive. The same applies to many towns and cities, the world over. Bamberg is no exception.
There was major work being done on the rail line between Nueremberg and Bamberg when I was making my way there, so when I alighted at Nueremberg, I was directed on to a bus outside of the station for the last leg of my journey to Bamberg. No worries, it was a pleasant trip of not much more than an hour, so I had no complaints.
When I alighted in Bamberg, it was a very ordinary sort of town that greeted me, but by now I knew better than to judge this book by its cover.
I quickly found my hotel and went off to find the Bamberg that I had heard and read so much about. I was not disappointed.

Old Town....

The Old Town of Bamberg defies description. It is magnificent and seems to be better kept than many Old Towns I've seen. I couldn't stop clicking the camera. The area around the Alte Rathaus is absolutely amazing at every turn. There are wonderful old buildings adorned with frescoes, wooden bridges over really fast running water, great little shops and restaurants abound. I was in my element!

Not much happening on Sunday......

Bamberg is well worth a trip even if you make it a day trip destination from Nueremberg, Wuerzburg or even Munich (if you get an early start). I would advise against going for a day trip on Sunday however, as many shops and restaurants are not open. I couldn't even buy some aspirins or a box of tissues, there was not even a mini market to be found. In the Old Town, many of the cafes were closed and not even the sausage cart was open. The businesswoman in me was crying out when I saw many hundreds of people roaming around on Sunday but even the open souvenir shops were in very short supply. Kaethe Wolfhaert was the only shop I could find that was open for business and what a roaring trade was being done there. I know that in Germany the shops don't open on Sundays, but I really feel that those in the busy tourist areas are doing themselves out of some good business. I can only assume that there is a very good reason for it, but coming from Australia where all the shops, from the biggest to the smallest are open on Sunday, it's hard to get used to.
Even the restaurant in my hotel didn't open on Sunday night and when I went out to find somewhere to have dinner, my choices were very limited to say the least. I had Asian, Kebabs and Italian to choose from, so I opted for a very good spag bol and went back to the hotel to bed.

• Pros:So much to discover...
  • Cons:Not many decent restaurants open on Sunday night.
  • In a nutshell:I can thoroughly recommend Bamberg.
  • Last visit to Bamberg: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2010

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Oh lovely trip you had :-)) I like the river towns and must come to Bamberg one day :-) Thanks for a wonderful page, dear Kate :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Your Hotel looked nice! We loved Bamberg too, especially by the Riverside.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

You did a splendid job of commenting on the sites and the pictures well taken. We go to there in October, and I copied some of your pictures to identify the places. Thanks for the guidance

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Thanks for the tips Kate! the Cathedral Square is impressive! and I'll stop at Graupner Konditorei for sure! Hope you're doing great! :)

• marybrigid's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I've always liked the woolly blankets on a cold day.

• onedaysomewhere's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Another beautiful German town, thanks for the nice photo's of it.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Enjoyed a rummage around your Bamberg page Kate. Love the river scenery and reference to 'little venice' :o) Thanks for the tips! Hugs, Ann.

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Good tips. May get here one day.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Warm rugs over outdoor gas heaters any day - I hate those things! Loved Bamburg though, stopped there en route from Trier to Leipzig on year, would happily return.

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Bamberg

Have you been to Bamberg?

Latest Activity in Bamberg