"The best of Bamberg...." Bamberg by Maryimelda
Bamberg Travel Guide: 446 reviews and 1,459 photos
One thing I've learned in my travels (and it's only recently that the penny has dropped) is that you should never judge a town or city by how it looks when you first come out of the Train Station or get off the bus. If you think about your own home town, there's a big chance that the main train or bus station in your town is in an area that is not necessarily attractive. The same applies to many towns and cities, the world over. Bamberg is no exception.
There was major work being done on the rail line between Nueremberg and Bamberg when I was making my way there, so when I alighted at Nueremberg, I was directed on to a bus outside of the station for the last leg of my journey to Bamberg. No worries, it was a pleasant trip of not much more than an hour, so I had no complaints.
When I alighted in Bamberg, it was a very ordinary sort of town that greeted me, but by now I knew better than to judge this book by its cover.
I quickly found my hotel and went off to find the Bamberg that I had heard and read so much about. I was not disappointed.
The Old Town of Bamberg defies description. It is magnificent and seems to be better kept than many Old Towns I've seen. I couldn't stop clicking the camera. The area around the Alte Rathaus is absolutely amazing at every turn. There are wonderful old buildings adorned with frescoes, wooden bridges over really fast running water, great little shops and restaurants abound. I was in my element!
Bamberg is well worth a trip even if you make it a day trip destination from Nueremberg, Wuerzburg or even Munich (if you get an early start). I would advise against going for a day trip on Sunday however, as many shops and restaurants are not open. I couldn't even buy some aspirins or a box of tissues, there was not even a mini market to be found. In the Old Town, many of the cafes were closed and not even the sausage cart was open. The businesswoman in me was crying out when I saw many hundreds of people roaming around on Sunday but even the open souvenir shops were in very short supply. Kaethe Wolfhaert was the only shop I could find that was open for business and what a roaring trade was being done there. I know that in Germany the shops don't open on Sundays, but I really feel that those in the busy tourist areas are doing themselves out of some good business. I can only assume that there is a very good reason for it, but coming from Australia where all the shops, from the biggest to the smallest are open on Sunday, it's hard to get used to.
Even the restaurant in my hotel didn't open on Sunday night and when I went out to find somewhere to have dinner, my choices were very limited to say the least. I had Asian, Kebabs and Italian to choose from, so I opted for a very good spag bol and went back to the hotel to bed.
- Pros:So much to discover...
- Cons:Not many decent restaurants open on Sunday night.
- In a nutshell:I can thoroughly recommend Bamberg.
Whilst the Hotel National is perfectly situated close to the Train Station, the Hotel Brudermuehle is situated almost... more travel advice
The frescoes on the Alte Rathaus are really quite stunning. They are the creation of one Johann Anwander a German fresco... more travel advice
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Bamberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Famous landmarks"
- "Wonderful Bamberg"
- "Medieval Bamberg"
- "Beloved Bamberg !"
- "Bamberg - every cloud has a silver lining"
- "The best of Bamberg...."
- "Bamberg - an UNESCO world heritage site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bamberg
- Hotels in Bamberg
- Transportation in Bamberg
- Nightlife in Bamberg
- Restaurants in Bamberg
- Shopping in Bamberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Bamberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bamberg
- 18 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Bamberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bamberg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 72 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues