Europe Favorite Tips by Maryimelda Top 5 Page for this destination
Europe Favorites: 607 reviews and 460 photos
Favorite thing: There are many travellers who, like me, think that this might be their one and only chance to see Europe so they are determined to squeeze as much into each day as possible. This is a huge mistake folks. Don't be tempted to just "tick boxes" so you can say you've been there. I have learnt well since I first began travelling regularly to Europe in 2002, to pick out the places I REALLY want to see and to put others on the back burner in the hope that there will be another trip.'Believe me there is nothing worse than spending a few hours or one night in a fascinating town or city and then finding out when you get home all of the things you didn't see. It is also super tiring packing up every day and lugging your baggage around on a daily basis.
I also learnt not to book trains, flights etc too early in the morning unless it is absolutely necessary and there is no other option. When I have a really early start, I find that I do not sleep at all because I am afraid that I won't wake up in time and that the early morning wake up call won't come. I have now made it my very strict travel policy not to board a train before 9am at least. That way I have plenty of time to wake up, finish my packing and have a leisurely breakfast before the train goes.
Tour buses at Mont St Michel
Favorite thing: Why do so many people on this forum have such a low regard for "tourists"? Are these people so naive that they don't realise that anyone who travels anywhere in the world for the purpose of seeing the sights is a tourist? Or do they really consider themselves to be so bloody special that they don't rate as "tourists"? It never ceases to amaze me how many people subscribe to VT (Virtual TOURIST) and yet consider themselves to be somehow made of better stuff than the "tourists". The way I see it, we are all toursits, like it or not. I for one am perfectly content in the role and very grateful that I have had the good fortune to be able to see a little of this wonderful world of ours. Consequently, you can call me what you like, I'll still keep travelling for as long as I am able. I do understand that there are some who simply don't like the queues or the inflated prices etc. that popular tourist destinations are full of, but I can't for the life of me, understand the attitude that tourists are the lowest of the low. I especially have to smile when VTers write wonderful tips and travel pages for the purpose of enticing others to go to a particular place, but at the same time warn against the many tourists they will find there!!!!! "Go early or stay late to avoid the tourists!" I would prefer to have them say "to avoid the crowds", that I could readily accept, but I can't accept the fact that "tourist" to some is a dirty word.
Be proud to be a tourist in Europe. There are millions of people the world over who would give their eye teeth to be able to join the hoardes of tourists there.
Favorite thing: When travelling in Europe it is more than a little wise to always carry some 50 eurocent coins for the public toilets. In many railway stations, the toilets are unmanned and your coin works as a key to get you in. There are other methods of entry as well and also even when the facilities are manned, it is usually about 50 eurocents to gain entry. Just a few spare coins in your pockets will always come in handy and will be no burden to carry.
Phone shop in Strasbourg, France (yellow awning)
Favorite thing: Most of us like to travel with a mobile phone of course, but that doesn' t mean we have to use it every time we call home. All over Europe there are Internet Cafes which offer cheap International phone calls. And I mean cheap! The phones are usually in private booths and I have yet to pay more than 1 Euro for a ten minute call from France or Germany to Australia.
This is far better than coming home to a $AUD500 bill. You can also enjoy your call a lot more when you know it is not costing you a lot of money. Have a good long chat and pay for it with your spare change. It's the only way to go.
More Reviews (133)
- See All Bretzenheim Eremitage, Rhineland...
- See All Best way to see the Rhine
- See All All the above - Le Mont St Michel
- See All Renowned Shopping Streets: Ruedesheim
- See All These take the cake.
- See All Not everything in Europe is BIG
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Europe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The very BEST places of EUROPE"
- "A-Z of Europe"
- "Travelling through Europe...."
- "Europe, where does it start and finish?"
- "The Little 3d Sister: Europe"
- "A part of Europe I have visited and admired"
- "EUROPE - the old World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Europe
- Hotels in Europe
- Transportation in Europe
- Nightlife in Europe
- Restaurants in Europe
- Shopping in Europe
- Warnings and Dangers in Europe
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Prospect Hotels
- Laval Hotels
- French Polynesia
- Elanchove Hotels
- Dipolog Hotels
Badges & Stats in Europe
- 842 Reviews
- 2,499 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 59 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Europe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Europe
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Return Flights to Brisbane..."
- updated a Europe Travel Page "Europe, where does it start and finish?"
- Wrote a Review Bretzenheim Eremitage, Rhineland Palatinate in Europe Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bretzenheim Eremitage, Rhineland Palatinate"
- Commented on one of globetrott's Europe travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
Top Europe hotels
- Paris Hotels
- 22172 Reviews - 53908 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23065 Reviews - 47272 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10043 Reviews - 20825 Photos
- Barcelona Hotels
- 9442 Reviews - 21470 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8137 Reviews - 21375 Photos
- Benidorm Hotels
- 439 Reviews - 762 Photos
- Prague Hotels
- 11426 Reviews - 23093 Photos
- Albufeira Hotels
- 360 Reviews - 664 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5082 Reviews - 11268 Photos
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- 733 Reviews - 1874 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2765 Reviews - 6827 Photos
- Dublin Hotels
- 5063 Reviews - 9245 Photos
- Vienna Hotels
- 7174 Reviews - 17491 Photos
- Budapest Hotels
- 7462 Reviews - 17305 Photos