"Europe, where does it start and finish?" Top 5 Page for this destination Europe by Maryimelda

Europe Travel Guide: 690,748 reviews and 1,844,731 photos

Making some order out of it

After five long haul flights from Down Under to Europe in the last 9 years, I am beginning to feel that my memories are all over the place. So now it's time to make some order out of them and write a comprehensive page that will make the European places visited easier to get my mind around.

Why no pages?

My travel map shows many places in Europe and indeed in other areas as well, that I have not written up on my pages. There is a simple reason for this. I have very few photos of many of these places. Some have been lost and in some instances, I had faulty camera equipment or just simply didn't think to take photos in some of those earlier (pre VT) days. So maybe I can cover some of those places if only from an overview position, in these pages on Europe as a whole.

Beating the clock of life.

These days, I often wish that I could go back to every one of my past European destinations and take the elusive photos. Of course, this is a pipe dream. In all honesty, I am madly trying to cover as many new places as I can before old age really sets in and limits my mobility.

As I implied earlier, this page is meant to be an overview of the countries that I have visited in Europe. A filing system if you like. Many of the cities and towns in these countries are described in far greater detail on their own pages. You are welcome to visit them.

I have divided many areas of travel into categories on this page. Please note that these Rivers, Statues, buildings, etc. etc. are my own personal favourites and are not necessarily chosen because of their artistic value or appeal. Many of them have been chosen for purely sentimental reasons or because I feel there is an interesting story behind them and I guess I feel that if I saw something special in them, then others might see the same and put them on a travel wish list maybe.

Of all the places I hav e visited in Europe in five visits, I have now compiled my list of ten favourites. My 10 Wonders of Europe. Of course, in five trips, I haven't even begun to scratch the surface so please bear in mind that my Top Ten is compiled only from places I have been to personally. I'm sure that many of you will have other ideas about what should be on the list and what shouldn't. But that's what makes us all different and of course in a list like this there is no wrong or right, just personal favourites.

1. Le Mont St Michel - Brittany, France
7. St Peterskirche - Vienna, Austria
8. Saarburg Waterfall - Saarburg, Germany
9. Pompeii - Amalfi Coast, Italy
10. Cathedral de Santiago de Compostela - Spain

It goes without saying that choosing ten favourites was quite a challenge for me as there are so many more I could add to a list such as this. Suffice to say that all of these sights stopped me in my tracks when I saw them probably more so than any others. And on reflection I can also say that they are not necessarily listed in any particular order.

• Pros:I wouldn't know where to start relating the pros.
  • Cons:Too much for one person to completely cover in a lifetime.
  • In a nutshell:A wonder around every corner.
  • Last visit to Europe: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Outstanding page on Europe!
    Just catching up on your new tips. I love the fountains in Europe, never tire of seeing them, nor the Roland statues. After reading your page, I want to go and see them for myself!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2012 at 2:06 AM

A delightful page with some great suggestions for Off The Beaten Path European gems. Nice work! :D

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Now I think I have read everything on your fabulous Europe page. Of your ten Hidden Gems I have been to only one, namely Erfurt, and I agree that it is well worth a visit. I’ve been there several times on business and also to see performances at the new opera house (the newest in Germany). I happened to be in Erfurt on the day of that school shooting that you mentioned. It was a huge shock because, logically enough, most of the people I know there are teachers.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM

A very informative page, loved reading your tips :)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Returned to your page again, Kate. Skimmed through the lot, but only read what I thought might help me with August trip. You certainly have travelled much of Europe. Thanks for the tour.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Kate -What a good point you make about the scaffolding and the alternative sad fact of life!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Oh wow, Kate, I love your updates and in general the way you have set up your Europe overview! Now I want to visit Hallstadt, especially for the soap & salt shop! And excellent and wise pack list and restaurant tips!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

a lot of great tips and tricks about Europe and lots of great updates again here since my last visit to this page. b.t.w. Mountain Goat, Zermatt that is a "Steinbock" / an Ibex !

• Quellfrisch's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

You have seen much more of Europa than I did !

• bbunter's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Love the new tips.

Maryimelda Visits Here Frequently!

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Badges & Stats in Europe