"Europe, where does it start and finish?" Top 5 Page for this destination Europe by Maryimelda
Europe Travel Guide: 689,358 reviews and 1,838,057 photos
After five long haul flights from Down Under to Europe in the last 9 years, I am beginning to feel that my memories are all over the place. So now it's time to make some order out of them and write a comprehensive page that will make the European places visited easier to get my mind around.
My travel map shows many places in Europe and indeed in other areas as well, that I have not written up on my pages. There is a simple reason for this. I have very few photos of many of these places. Some have been lost and in some instances, I had faulty camera equipment or just simply didn't think to take photos in some of those earlier (pre VT) days. So maybe I can cover some of those places if only from an overview position, in these pages on Europe as a whole.
These days, I often wish that I could go back to every one of my past European destinations and take the elusive photos. Of course, this is a pipe dream. In all honesty, I am madly trying to cover as many new places as I can before old age really sets in and limits my mobility.
As I implied earlier, this page is meant to be an overview of the countries that I have visited in Europe. A filing system if you like. Many of the cities and towns in these countries are described in far greater detail on their own pages. You are welcome to visit them.
I have divided many areas of travel into categories on this page. Please note that these Rivers, Statues, buildings, etc. etc. are my own personal favourites and are not necessarily chosen because of their artistic value or appeal. Many of them have been chosen for purely sentimental reasons or because I feel there is an interesting story behind them and I guess I feel that if I saw something special in them, then others might see the same and put them on a travel wish list maybe.
Of all the places I hav e visited in Europe in five visits, I have now compiled my list of ten favourites. My 10 Wonders of Europe. Of course, in five trips, I haven't even begun to scratch the surface so please bear in mind that my Top Ten is compiled only from places I have been to personally. I'm sure that many of you will have other ideas about what should be on the list and what shouldn't. But that's what makes us all different and of course in a list like this there is no wrong or right, just personal favourites.
1. Le Mont St Michel - Brittany, France
2. Bretzenheim Hermitage - Rhineland Pfalz, Germany
3. The Matterhorn - Zermatt, Switzerland
4. Marksburg Castle - Rhineland Pfalz, Germany
5. Porta Nigra - Trier, Germany
6. Ring of Kerry - Co. Kerry, Ireland
7. St Peterskirche - Vienna, Austria
8. Saarburg Waterfall - Saarburg, Germany
9. Pompeii - Amalfi Coast, Italy
10. Cathedral de Santiago de Compostela - Spain
It goes without saying that choosing ten favourites was quite a challenge for me as there are so many more I could add to a list such as this. Suffice to say that all of these sights stopped me in my tracks when I saw them probably more so than any others. And on reflection I can also say that they are not necessarily listed in any particular order.
- Pros:I wouldn't know where to start relating the pros.
- Cons:Too much for one person to completely cover in a lifetime.
- In a nutshell:A wonder around every corner.
Each and every day I spent exploring the Rhineland Palatinate with Ingrid (VTer Trekki) was an absolute joy. She put so... more travel advice
If you choose to do the golden tour to Pilatus please be warned about the gondolas. When coming down from the mountain... more travel advice
- See All All the above - Le Mont St Michel
- See All Renowned Shopping Streets: Ruedesheim
- See All These take the cake.
- See All Not everything in Europe is BIG
- See All The most important of all
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Europe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The very BEST places of EUROPE"
- "A-Z of Europe"
- "Travelling through Europe...."
- "Europe, where does it start and finish?"
- "The Little 3d Sister: Europe"
- "A part of Europe I have visited and admired"
- "EUROPE - the old World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Europe
- Hotels in Europe
- Transportation in Europe
- Nightlife in Europe
- Restaurants in Europe
- Shopping in Europe
- Warnings and Dangers in Europe
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Europe
- 892 Reviews
- 2,675 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 60 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Europe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Europe
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Banged up abroad."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Little Squares"
- updated a Europe Travel Page "Europe, where does it start and finish?"
- Wrote a Review Bretzenheim Eremitage, Rhineland Palatinate in Europe Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of globetrott's Europe travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 137 reviews, 338 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 205 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 52 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 32 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 29 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trier Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues