"My Hometown" Middenbeemster by Igraine
Middenbeemster Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 42 photos
This farm called the Eenhoorn (Unicorn) is the eldest in the Beemster dating from 1682. Some 15 years ago the insides and the outside were completly restored.
This map showed the polder de Beemster. When in the 17th century the Heren of Amsterdam where in need of more farming land they come up with the wild idea of pumping dry some lakes in our province. So they set mr J.A.Leegwhater the task to make the plans and do the whole project. He invented mills to pump the water out. That took 5 years so when the year became 1612 the whole lake was dry and ready to be farmed. The land was divided in equal square pieces of land of 1850 by 1850 meters. Next to them the roads where made (the white lines on the map). Alot of rich people from Amsterdam made their second home here. The big houses with the gardens and orchards are mostly gone but the farmhouses are stil there. It are characteristic buildings with pyramide shaped roofes. The Heren from Amsterdam gave the wellknown architect mr Pieter Post the assignment to design a church. You can see it from afar in Middenbeemster.
Within this polder are several villages and one off them is the Middenbeemster.
This also in my village, it is the lane leading from the church to the cemetary. In the old days when everyone was burried on the cemetary one always walked this lane. They still walk this lane when going from church to the cemetary but that isnt often. I think it the prettiest lane or road we have.
- Pros:its clean, quiet, rural, green
- Cons:There isnt much to do
- In a nutshell:its where i grew up :)
Take a look at this picture and you would imagine a big lane next to it or a bit of wood. Thats how pictures can trick... more travel advice
Look at the picture to get an idea about the level of shops in Middenbeemster. Not good for a whole day of shopping but... more travel advice
Igraine's Related Pages
Middenbeemster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hometown"
- "Landscape on the world heritage list"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Middenbeemster
- Hotels in Middenbeemster
- Transportation in Middenbeemster
- Restaurants in Middenbeemster
- Shopping in Middenbeemster
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Middenbeemster
- 14 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Middenbeemster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Middenbeemster
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 27 reviews, 66 photos, 6 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Middenbeemster Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergen Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marbella Intro, 4 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues