"An Asian tiger" Singapore by ntm2322
Singapore Travel Guide: 4,734 reviews and 10,867 photos
Singapore is derived from the Malay words singa (lion) and pura (city).
I would describe Singapore as a city similar to Hong Kong or Macau but less exciting and attractive and full of rules. So, why to visit Singapore? In my opinion if you live in Hong Kong or Macau or know these cities quite well and then go to Singapore, you will find this city kind of boring.
My first visit to Singapore was in October of 1992 on my way to Malaysia and since then I haven’t returned.
Singapore is the 22nd wealthiest country in the world, the world’s 4th largest foreign exchange trading center and in terms of quality of life is 1st in Asia and 11th in the world. Amazing, isn’t it? Just look at its size in the map.
The economy of Singapore relies mainly on manufacturing exports (electronics, petroleum refining, chemicals, mechanical engineering and biomedical sciences manufacturing) and entrepôt and financial trade.
Singapore’s political system is a representative democracy and is recognized by the United Nations as a parliamentary republic. Singapore obtained its independence in 1965 and since then it has been governed by the People’s Action Party which hasn’t lost any election.
As to the population the Chinese Singaporeans constitute 77% and the Malay Singaporeans constitute 13%.
The official languages of Singapore are Malay, English, Mandarin and Tamil. English is the language of administration and is spoken by the majority of the population.
ntm2322's Related Pages
Singapore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Uniquely Singapore"
- "Singapore Downtown"
- "(the real) Happiest Place on Earth"
- "ONE ISLAND WITH 63 SURROUNDING ISLETS"
- "Home away from Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Singapore
- Hotels in Singapore
- Transportation in Singapore
- Nightlife in Singapore
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Shopping in Singapore
- Warnings and Dangers in Singapore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Singapore
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Singapore
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 111 reviews, 141 photos
- Macao Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Viana do Castelo Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Chamusca 1 review, 2 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 2 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 2 photos
- Kuala Terengganu Intro, 2 photos