"A Great and diverse Province of South Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Eastern Cape by PierreZA
Province of Eastern Cape Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 467 photos
The Eastern Cape is one of the bigger provinces of South Africa. Although it is one of the poorest, it is rich in diversity and what it has on offer for the traveller. This includes history, fauna, flora, adventure etc. This is the province where Mr Nelson Mandela was born.
For practical reasons it might be easier to divide the province into areas , it is not an official demarcation. I use Port Elizabeth (PE) as a departure point, as it is served by a good airport and has good infrastructure.
I will constantly update this page, as I do visit the Eastern Cape quite often.
Area 1 Port Elizabeth, along the N2, towards Cape Town (Bloukrans)
Area 2 Port Elizabeth, along the N2, towards Port Edward
Area 3 Port Elizabeth to Graaf Reinet, the south-eastern interior
Area 4 Port Elizabeth towards Gariep and the north-eastern interior
Area 1 (PE along the N2, direction Cape Town)
This part of the Eastern Cape can be considered as the gateway to the Garden Route. It is a beautiful part of the province, especially the part from Stormsriver onwards.
Along the way is the popular coastal town, Jeffrey’s Bay and also the great Tsitsikamma National Park.
The Eastern Cape borders with the Western Cape at Bloukrantz, the bridge from where you can do the highest bungy jump in the world.
Area 2 (PE along the N2 towards Port Edward)
This takes you through the previous Ciskei and Transkei. Beautiful towns like Grahamstown, coastal towns like Kenton-on-Sea and Port Alfred.
The Wild Coast is also very well-known, especially for its natural beauty.
Area 3 (The South-Eastern interior)
In this quite large area, the area called the Langkloof and Baviaanskloof could be highlights. Graaf Reinet is another small town of note in this area.
Area 4 (The North-Eastern interior)
This area is also quite big, and diverse. Although I have not travelled extensively in this area, Hogsback is a place well worth visiting. The road takes you north towards Colesberg and the Gariep Dam, were it borders with the Free State.
I have included a few “trips” which can be quite pleasant to do.
I will also continue to update the page, as I visit the Eastern Cape quite regularly.
Port Elizabeth is well conected with most major cities is South Africa, including Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban... more travel advice
PE → Baviaanskloof → Zuurberg → Addo Elephant National Park → PE Leave PE on the N2 (direction... more travel advice
PierreZA's Related Pages
Province of Eastern Cape Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tsitsikamma and St Francis Bay"
- "A Great and diverse Province of South Africa"
- "Rainy Eastern Cape"
- "The Transkei Eastern Cape Mandela Country"
- "The Eastern Cape - The Go Wild Province"
- "Wild and serene ~ The Eastern Cape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Eastern Cape
- Hotels in Province of Eastern Cape
- Transportation in Province of Eastern Cape
- Nightlife in Province of Eastern Cape
- Restaurants in Province of Eastern Cape
- Shopping in Province of Eastern Cape
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Eastern Cape
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Eastern Cape
- 56 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Province of Eastern Cape?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Eastern Cape
Photos in Province of Eastern CapeSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos