"South Africa - We had a wonderful World Cup!" South Africa by PierreZA
South Africa Travel Guide: 12,011 reviews and 28,546 photos
South Africa is located on the most southern tip of Africa, where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. It is a country of immense diversity – in many ways. The diversity is not just in the people of the country, but also the geography.
During my travels I have came across many people who do not know that there is a country called South Africa. I did found that the easiest way to explain is by first mentioning the name of Mr Nelson Mandela. This usually helps a lot. We are so privileged to have this wonderful man in our country. Although he is getting old now, his popularity has never diminished in any way. He is respected not just in South Africa but also world wide. He was the first President of the ‘New South Africa’ – as it is called here.
South Africa has 11 official languages, although English is widely spoken by most people. Some other common languages you might hear will be Afrikaans (which is related to Dutch and Flemish), Xhosa and Zulu. The country is made up of 9 provinces, each offers a different experience.
South Africans are very friendly and relaxed and hospitable.
We love sports (especially Soccer, Rugby and Cricket).
This depends on the amount of time you have. If you travel by road, remember that the distance from Cape Town to Johannesburg is more than 1200 km (2 hours by air).
This is a suggestion if you only have 10 -14 days.
Cape Town (a few days as there is a lot do see and do, including the winelands)
(There are direct flights to Cape Town from
Travel by car to Port Elizabeth (PE), via the beautiful Garden Route. On route you should visit the Tsitiskama National Park. You can also jump the highest bungee in the world at Bloukrans.
When in Port Elizabeth, do a daytrip to Addo Elephant Park.
From PE, you can fly to Johannesburg, from where you can fly (or dive) to the Kruger National Park. You should spend at least 2 – 3 nights here.
Fly back from Johannesburg.
If you have more time –
Visit Durban, The Drakensberg, Johannesburg, Sun City, Pretoria
- Pros:A World in One Country
If you heard of Mrs Pless, this is the place where she was found. Declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1999, the... more travel advice
The rooftop market can be visited every Sunday and is very popular. There are more than 600 stalls offering everything... more travel advice
PierreZA's Related Pages
South Africa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A world in one country!"
- "A peek into a great country"
- "SUNNY SOUTH AFRICA not at the moment its raining"
- "South Africa Road Trip"
- "South Africa"
- "South Africa - We had a wonderful World Cup!"
- "The Splendour of South Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Africa
- Hotels in South Africa
- Transportation in South Africa
- Nightlife in South Africa
- Restaurants in South Africa
- Shopping in South Africa
- Warnings and Dangers in South Africa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Africa
- 188 Reviews
- 245 Photos
- 38 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to South Africa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Africa
- Posted in Travel Sri Lanka Forum "Re: Touring the entire Sri Lanka..."
- updated a South Africa Travel Page "South Africa - We had a wonderful World Cup!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Modern & Trendy"
- Wrote a Review Sterkfontein Caves in South Africa Things to Do
- Commented on one of mad4travel's South Africa travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos