"South Africa - We had a wonderful World Cup!" Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa by PierreZA

South Africa Travel Guide: 12,068 reviews and 28,894 photos

Welcome to South Africa

South Africa is located on the most southern tip of Africa, where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. It is a country of immense diversity – in many ways. The diversity is not just in the people of the country, but also the geography.
During my travels I have came across many people who do not know that there is a country called South Africa. I did found that the easiest way to explain is by first mentioning the name of Mr Nelson Mandela. This usually helps a lot. We are so privileged to have this wonderful man in our country. Although he is getting old now, his popularity has never diminished in any way. He is respected not just in South Africa but also world wide. He was the first President of the ‘New South Africa’ – as it is called here.

The Country and the People

South Africa has 11 official languages, although English is widely spoken by most people. Some other common languages you might hear will be Afrikaans (which is related to Dutch and Flemish), Xhosa and Zulu. The country is made up of 9 provinces, each offers a different experience.
South Africans are very friendly and relaxed and hospitable.
We love sports (especially Soccer, Rugby and Cricket).

What to see and do

This depends on the amount of time you have. If you travel by road, remember that the distance from Cape Town to Johannesburg is more than 1200 km (2 hours by air).
This is a suggestion if you only have 10 -14 days.
Cape Town (a few days as there is a lot do see and do, including the winelands)
(There are direct flights to Cape Town from
Travel by car to Port Elizabeth (PE), via the beautiful Garden Route. On route you should visit the Tsitiskama National Park. You can also jump the highest bungee in the world at Bloukrans.
When in Port Elizabeth, do a daytrip to Addo Elephant Park.
From PE, you can fly to Johannesburg, from where you can fly (or dive) to the Kruger National Park. You should spend at least 2 – 3 nights here.
Fly back from Johannesburg.

If you have more time –
Visit Durban, The Drakensberg, Johannesburg, Sun City, Pretoria

• Pros:A World in One Country
  • Cons:Crime
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2010

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Really great pages here & pleased u like Cape Town the best :)

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Very Informative-i really hope this ambitious plan of ours ie the trip to Africa works out in March 2013.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

The mix of upscale and rural environments has been a "challenge" even today. YOu have depicted the reality and the beauty of the area. Nice job of showing the sites.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2010 at 6:03 AM

Very informative tips on SA. I wish I could visit your favourite Tsitiskamma, but I'm afraid it won't be possible. But I have a week for Cape Town and three days for Johannesburg - hope to see the highlights.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Thanks Pierre. I just had a nice trip to SA via your pages. I hope all goes well for the soccer.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

5 star tips, with stunning pics Pierre - you know the good restaurants in Cape Town too- we have visted all of them in the past, excellent SA page. I enjoyed ALL of your tips. Good for 2010 visitors.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM

SA is high on my wish list. Thanks for very good tips I hope to use soon. I'm going to rent a car and drive around SA 4-5 weeks. Could I drive to other surrrounding countries as well?

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Pierre an excellent,compact and informative page on SA.You have it in a nutshell here. Superb pictures too. Hoe verlang ek nou! Hoe lyk die Jakarandas- seker pragtig.

PierreZA Used To Live Here!

PierreZA

“Experience, enjoy, share”

Badges & Stats in South Africa

Have you been to South Africa?