"Mosi-oa-Tunya" Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls by PierreZA

Victoria Falls Travel Guide: 443 reviews and 1,077 photos

The Smoke that Thunders

There are places that one read about, see pictures of, watching travel programmes etc, but nothing could prepare you for the impact it really has on you. For me, The Victoria Falls is one of those places.
We visited Vic Falls during the month of April when the water flow is at its peak. And, even more, according to the locals, they last had this amount of water during the 1960’s. This might be one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen in my life.
As you fly into Victoria Falls Airport you see ‘smoke’, which you mind think could be a bushfire. This is actually the spray of the Falls, constantly formed by the immense amount of water plunging down 100m or more into the gorge.
It might also be spectacular in a different way if there is less water, as you will most probably “see” more of the falls in its entirety.

Where to stay

When planning the trip, we had to decide whether to stay on the Zambia or Zimbabwe side. Travel agents in South Africa offer many, many different packages to Victoria Falls. We eventually decided to stay on the Zimbabwe side, as the bigger part of the Falls are on this side. We also went to the Zambia side to visit the western end of the Falls.
Staying on the Zim side was confirmation of the impact the political situation has on this very beautiful country and its people. I read quite a few VT pages on Vic Falls before the trip, and I must say that many things have changed since some of the tips written a few years ago. Zimbabwe dollars are not in use at all, some of the restaurants closed down, you cannot buy much in the shops etc.
The poverty and struggle to survive for local people are evident in the amount of harassment you find in the streets. Local people are desperate for money, T-shirts, food, shoes etc. The craft sellers of the streets are extremely irritating, but one should see this in context of the situation of the country. Despite this, the people are actually extremely friendly and nice to talk to. The introduction of Tourist Police seemed necessary, and they are very helpful (see Dangers Tips).
Then, when you visit the Zambia, the situation is totally different. It is so clear how much better it is on this side of the Falls.
I do hope and believe, and so do many of the, local people I spoke to, that things will improve in Zimbabwe. They do rely heavily on tourism, and at this stage it is clear that Zambia draws many more tourists compared to Zimbabwe.

What to do

There is quite a lot to see and do at Vic Falls, other than just visiting the Falls itself. Most executions are unfortunately not very cheap. One can stay for 3 days and see enough, or you can stay for 5 days or more and still not seen and done enough.
Do take enough time to experience the greatness of the Victoria Falls

• In a nutshell:A Natural Wonder of the World you Have to see
  • Last visit to Victoria Falls: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2009

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Very good and interesting tips and photos Gracias !!!! Thank you

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 2:57 AM

Very comprehensive tips on the place. It's great you included some info not only about the falls but also about the local people, prices etc. It comes very useful for those who are planning to visit, like me.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM

This is a site that holds so much beauty, and huge flow of water. The Zambezi River pic is fantastic. The umbrella used by a tourist is a "trip". I really liked your accurate and factual explanation of the area and its cultures. Great presentation.

• Dec 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Hi Pierre! Bungy jumping off the bridge is on my wish list. Someday.... Paul.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM

~ Hello, Pierre! What a great destination! The only drawback is : it is much too far away!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2009 at 5:43 AM

An excellent page about somewhere VERY high on my wish-list :-) I like that you have included in your intro some information about life in Zimbabwe, local people etc. And the lion experience looks wonderful - I would have hated to miss that!

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Ah ha ha I see you have already been. I was there in May so looks like we overlapped one another.

• Behi's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Fantastic, Thanks for sharing your wonderful part of the world.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Hi Pierre- I cannot quite believe that we have never been to Vic Falls!This page is really excellent,with the usual perfect pictures. That Mama Africa place sounds good! Baie Dankie en groete.

• MariusJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Hi Pierre, Very nice page with useful information.

PierreZA

“Experience, enjoy, share”

Badges & Stats in Victoria Falls

Have you been to Victoria Falls?

Latest Activity in Victoria Falls