"Mosi-oa-Tunya" Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls by PierreZA
Victoria Falls Travel Guide: 443 reviews and 1,077 photos
There are places that one read about, see pictures of, watching travel programmes etc, but nothing could prepare you for the impact it really has on you. For me, The Victoria Falls is one of those places.
We visited Vic Falls during the month of April when the water flow is at its peak. And, even more, according to the locals, they last had this amount of water during the 1960’s. This might be one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen in my life.
As you fly into Victoria Falls Airport you see ‘smoke’, which you mind think could be a bushfire. This is actually the spray of the Falls, constantly formed by the immense amount of water plunging down 100m or more into the gorge.
It might also be spectacular in a different way if there is less water, as you will most probably “see” more of the falls in its entirety.
When planning the trip, we had to decide whether to stay on the Zambia or Zimbabwe side. Travel agents in South Africa offer many, many different packages to Victoria Falls. We eventually decided to stay on the Zimbabwe side, as the bigger part of the Falls are on this side. We also went to the Zambia side to visit the western end of the Falls.
Staying on the Zim side was confirmation of the impact the political situation has on this very beautiful country and its people. I read quite a few VT pages on Vic Falls before the trip, and I must say that many things have changed since some of the tips written a few years ago. Zimbabwe dollars are not in use at all, some of the restaurants closed down, you cannot buy much in the shops etc.
The poverty and struggle to survive for local people are evident in the amount of harassment you find in the streets. Local people are desperate for money, T-shirts, food, shoes etc. The craft sellers of the streets are extremely irritating, but one should see this in context of the situation of the country. Despite this, the people are actually extremely friendly and nice to talk to. The introduction of Tourist Police seemed necessary, and they are very helpful (see Dangers Tips).
Then, when you visit the Zambia, the situation is totally different. It is so clear how much better it is on this side of the Falls.
I do hope and believe, and so do many of the, local people I spoke to, that things will improve in Zimbabwe. They do rely heavily on tourism, and at this stage it is clear that Zambia draws many more tourists compared to Zimbabwe.
There is quite a lot to see and do at Vic Falls, other than just visiting the Falls itself. Most executions are unfortunately not very cheap. One can stay for 3 days and see enough, or you can stay for 5 days or more and still not seen and done enough.
Do take enough time to experience the greatness of the Victoria Falls
- In a nutshell:A Natural Wonder of the World you Have to see
When visiting the Falls You will get wet. It is important to wear clothing which does not cling too much when wet... more travel advice
As you enter the Victoria Fall National Park, you will find a stuatue of David Livingstone near the Devils... more travel advice
- Money Matters
- See All Malaria
- See All Walking Around
- See All Avoid
PierreZA's Related Pages
Victoria Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The Smoke that Thunders""
- "Victoria Falls, the smoke that thunders"
- "VICTORIA FALLS, ZIMBABWE"
- "Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders."
- "THE BEAUTIFUL SIDE OF THE FALLS"
- "Twenty-six hours at Victoria Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Victoria Falls
- Hotels in Victoria Falls
- Transportation in Victoria Falls
- Nightlife in Victoria Falls
- Restaurants in Victoria Falls
- Shopping in Victoria Falls
- Warnings and Dangers in Victoria Falls
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Victoria Falls
- 28 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Victoria Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria Falls
Photos in Victoria FallsSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos