"You have to visit Stone Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Town by PierreZA
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 643 photos
Stone Town or Zanzibar Town is a magnificent place to visit. It has UNESCO World Heritage status. This town was shaped by so many cultures over years, and it is most probably that what makes it so special.
It has a very rich history. Zanzibar and Stone Town was a major slave trading post for many years. Freddy Mercury was born here, but never returned.
Most people here speak Kiswahili, but English is understood and spoken by many.
The central part of the town reminds me of a Souq, especially the Souq of Tunis, where daily living is continued.
With my next visit to Zanzibar, I would definitely stay in Stone Town and not at one of the resorts on the Island.
If you would like to read more about the island, you can visit my page on Zanzibar Island.
Sitting at Mercury's at sunset, drinking an ice cold local beer, watching the kids play soccer on the beach.
The waterfront and its buildings
Getting lost in Stone Town
Fusion of cultures
Local spicy food
Architecture (including the doors)
- In a nutshell:It should be on your wishlist
I was surprised finding shops at the airport (including a duty-free) with a very good variety and excellent prices. They... more travel advice
You will most probably get away with USD, but I did find it very useful to have Tanzanian Shillings as well. At smaller... more travel advice
PierreZA's Related Pages
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STONE TOWN"
- "Zanzibar Town"
- "You have to visit Stone Town"
- "Mji Mkongwe"
- "The Stone Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Town
- Hotels in Zanzibar Town
- Transportation in Zanzibar Town
- Nightlife in Zanzibar Town
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Town
- Shopping in Zanzibar Town
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Town
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Town
- 27 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Zanzibar Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Town
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos