"Idyllic Life : The Spice Island" Zanzibar Island by PierreZA

Zanzibar Island Travel Guide: 418 reviews and 948 photos

Jambo!

Try to get a window seat!
You will have the best views of Zanzibar as you fly in - it is very, very beautiful.

The island is much bigger than I thought, which was actually a pleasant discovery.

Zanzibar is made up of several islands, the main island is called Unguja, and the second largest is Pemba Island.

When driving around the island, I sometimes thought that I could just as well be in Kerala, South India. These two places are very much alike, although there are no backwaters in Zanzibar.

It is a short trip from Johannesburg, South Africa, which makes it a nice extended week-end break away. I would like to visit Zanzaibar again.

Where to stay

We stayed at a resort on the east coast, north of Bwejuu.
When I go to Zanzibar again, I think I would like to stay a few nights in Stone Town as well. There are some very nice hotels in Stone Town.
The other reason is that once at the resort, you can be quite isolated. This also imply that you actually have to rely on the hotel/resort for all transport etc (see my tip on Beach Boys for alternatives).
I also think that Paje could be a good option to stay, as it is a bigger village with more resources like a supermarket, more transport options etc.

Highlights of my visit

Stone Town is a must see

The beautiful beaches

Friendly locals (most of them)

The laid back atmosphere

A very rich history to explore

Fantastic fresh fruit and good seafood

• In a nutshell:Paradise
  • Last visit to Zanzibar Island: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2009

• Jun 23, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Im going to Zanzibar and am staying at Neptune Pwani resort. I would love to go to the rock restaurant! Can you give directions on how toget there?

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Great tips !!!!!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Dag Skat! I have always been attracted to Zanzibar- great beaches & the spice history. We may consider a trip there on our next visit to RSA. AND its the birth-place of Freddie Mercury!!!I was a huge Queen fan (smile) Dala Dala reminds me of India.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM

I love those doors - have seen it on "Top Billing"

PierreZA

“Experience, enjoy, share”

Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Island

Have you been to Zanzibar Island?

Latest Activity in Zanzibar Island