"Pretoria - Capital of South Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria by PierreZA
Pretoria Travel Guide: 401 reviews and 724 photos
Pretoria, which might change to Tshwane, is the capital of South Africa (administrative).
The proposed name change is causing quite a stir in the city at this stage. It is a city where Afrikaans is spoken very widely, with a rich 'Afrikaner' history. The greater municipal area is called Tshwane, but we will have to wait and see what happens with the name.
It is a lovely city, with a much slower pace than Johannesburg, which is only 55km south of Pretoria.
A good time to visit is during spring, especially October, when thousands of Jacaranda trees are in full bloom. The city is also called 'Jakaranda Stad' (Jacaranda City).
It is home to the Union Buildings where the President resides.
The city was found in 1855, and named after the voortrekker (pioneer), Andries Pretorius.
Church Square could be the place where the city had its beginnings.
Pretoria has great weather, with very little wind and lots of sunshine.
I've been living in the city for about 15 years, and will try to build a comprehensive page on Pretoria, by updating regularly.
South Africa, including Pretoria, is preparing for one the biggest events to be held in this country.
Pretoria is one of the host cities. Other cities include Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Johannesburg, Pietersburg, Durban and others.
This event is also a time for visitors to explore our beautiful country.
I have a tip on the 2010 soccer world cup (Pretoria) - listed under sports tips.
Pretoria has quite a lot to offer. The sights are not concentrated in a small area, but spread over the city.
It is home to most embassies.
Sights and things to do:
The National Zoo
(See tip under General tips for practical info on Pretoria)
This is a very big restaurant with a very extensive menu. The food we had was very good and authentic. Prices are not... more travel advice
This is my favourite restaurant in Pretoria. A very nice French restaurant. From the rooftop you do have some great... more travel advice
- See All Irene Village: Dairy Farm
- See All Language
- See All Local Music (Non-ethnic)
- A few facts about Pretoria
PierreZA's Related Pages
Pretoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pretoria - Capital of South Africa"
- "The Jacaranda City (at least for the time being)"
- "PRETORIA MY HOME TOWN............."
- "Beautiful Capital of South Africa"
- "Africa's leading Capital"
- "Back in my home town"
- "Pretoria - The Jackaranda City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pretoria
- Hotels in Pretoria
- Transportation in Pretoria
- Nightlife in Pretoria
- Restaurants in Pretoria
- Shopping in Pretoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Pretoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pretoria
- 50 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Pretoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pretoria
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 47 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos