"Captivating Cairo" Cairo by PierreZA
Cairo Travel Guide: 3,992 reviews and 9,588 photos
Cairo needs to be experienced, it is not easy to describe this amazing city.
It's chaotic, religous, smelly, noisy, colourful etc. In other words it tickles your senses like few places can.
You are surrounded by ancient history everywhere.
This was my first visit to Egypt. Cairo left a great impression, and I would like to see more of this country!
With a population of about 22 million, it is one of the biggest cities in the world, and the biggest in Africa.
I spent only 5 days, not enough if you want to do and see everything.
It is a city not which is not too difficult to negotiate, but you will have to make use of taxi's or other public transport.
The people I met in Cairo were great, extremely friendly and helpful. Unfortunately you will find a few who "just want to talk and practice English", but eventually do have a plan to take you to a shop, emporium etc. This is not unique to Cairo only, one experience this in many other countries like Morocco, India etc.
Cairo will be what you make of it , you might not like it at all, or really love this wonderful city.
I want to go back to Egypt, to see more of this country and the wonderful people.
There is a lot to do and see, depending very much on your interests.
1. Pyramids and sphinx
2. Egyptian Museum
4. Visit a few Mosques
5. Take a felucca trip on the Nile at sunset
6. Coptic Cairo
7. Eat local cuisine
8. Experience downtown Cairo
9. Khan el Kalili
10 Many, many more!!!
- In a nutshell:A Captivating city, very unique!
There are direct flights between Cairo and Johannesbur (code-share with SAA). This was my first time with Egypt Air.... more travel advice
You will find many perfume shops all over Cairo, especially in Khan el Kalili. I'm not always sure if it is the real... more travel advice
PierreZA's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "The 4 days were far from enough"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 29 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 47 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos