"Amman" Top 5 Page for this destination Amman by PierreZA

Amman Travel Guide: 751 reviews and 1,579 photos

I like Amman

Many advice I got and read before visiting Jordan was that Amman is not a great city to visit.
I actually spent 3 nights there, and enjoyed it very much. There is a lot to see and do, but I actually enjoyed the vibe of the city.

Visiting the Citadel, Roman Theatre and Forum reminds you that this is actually a very old city under its modern surface.

The city offers good markets, coffee houses, street food etc.

My impressions of Amman

I think Amman is a liberal city, seen in context of being a Muslim city in the Middle East.
The people of Amman are friendly and welcoming and makes the city very enjoyable.
The city was originally built on 7 hills, but has spread over several hills more recently.
It is a modern city, but the roots are old. Despite the modernity, people are still traditional in many ways. Women (and men) dress conservatively, markets in downtown Amman is as lively as it most probably was many, many years ago, coffee houses where waterpipes are smoked etc.

• In a nutshell:An enjoyable city
  • Last visit to Amman: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Hello, Pierre! You have seen and described so much... Thanks a lot! ><><><

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Dag Pierre. Hoop dit gaan goed. The souks,mosques, The Citadel- Ijust love these old 'antique' cities. Just hope that we find Oman as interesting.

• mfas2000's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Glad you enjoyed my city..As you said, the cit -despite having less fame than its niehbouring cities, like Jerash or Petea -, it is a vibe you wont find it anywhere else

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Another good Jordan page here. All the best.

• Jul 12, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Very good page

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 4:46 AM

Like you, I very much enjoyed visiting Amman. Unfortunately, I was there for only a day and saw none of the rest of Jordan. I hope to return. Cheers from NYC!

PierreZA