"The beautiful town of Salt" As Salt by PierreZA
As Salt Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 60 photos
A visit to Salt was one of the highlights of my visit to Jordan. Only about 30min from Amman, it makes an easy day-trip from the Capital. Salt was a regional capital under Ottoman rule. A lot of the Ottoman architecture is visible all around the town, which makes this own quite unique.
The town has a relaxed and laid-back feel to it.
When I arrived, I was a bit lost, as I could not find the ‘Salt Traditional Craft Centre’ mentioned in my travel guide. A local approached me, wanting to help. After two glasses of tea, an hour later, he enquired around about the place I was looking for, just to learn that it moved location a few months ago.
I was in a very old coffee house, smoking nargileh, when two students came in and sat at a table opposite me. After a minute or so, one of them came to my table and offered me half of his lunch. I accepted and joined them at their table. They were two students studying at the local university. They invited me along to show me around. Before leaving the coffee house, they insisted to pay the bill, including everything I had (tea, nargileh, etc).
At the university, I was overwhelmed by the friendliness of the two students’ friends. They were extremely interested in South Africa, where I come from, and I had to answer many questions. Soon after I arrived there, one of the guys brought me coffee. I spent about two hours talking to the students and had the opportunity to ask the many questions about Jordan I had.
This experience surely was the great Jordanian hospitality I read of. If it was another country, I would have been much more paranoid and thought that this was part of a scam, but no such thing! So, Abdalla and Hamze, thank you for your hospitality and giving me more insight into your wonderful country.
I still did not find the ‘Salt Traditional Craft Centre’ before I left, but that just did not seem important anymore.
- In a nutshell:Salt deserves a visit when you are in Jordan
I struggled initially to get a bus to Salt. There are no busses leaving from Abdali Station anymore, as mentioned by... more travel advice
This beautiful building is in the process of being restored. It is beautiful from the outside. I was told that it would... more travel advice
PierreZA's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in As Salt
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to As Salt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in As Salt
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 47 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos