"The beautiful town of Salt" As Salt by PierreZA

As Salt Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 60 photos

Introduction

A visit to Salt was one of the highlights of my visit to Jordan. Only about 30min from Amman, it makes an easy day-trip from the Capital. Salt was a regional capital under Ottoman rule. A lot of the Ottoman architecture is visible all around the town, which makes this own quite unique.
The town has a relaxed and laid-back feel to it.

Jordanian Hospitality and Friendliness

When I arrived, I was a bit lost, as I could not find the ‘Salt Traditional Craft Centre’ mentioned in my travel guide. A local approached me, wanting to help. After two glasses of tea, an hour later, he enquired around about the place I was looking for, just to learn that it moved location a few months ago.
I was in a very old coffee house, smoking nargileh, when two students came in and sat at a table opposite me. After a minute or so, one of them came to my table and offered me half of his lunch. I accepted and joined them at their table. They were two students studying at the local university. They invited me along to show me around. Before leaving the coffee house, they insisted to pay the bill, including everything I had (tea, nargileh, etc).
At the university, I was overwhelmed by the friendliness of the two students’ friends. They were extremely interested in South Africa, where I come from, and I had to answer many questions. Soon after I arrived there, one of the guys brought me coffee. I spent about two hours talking to the students and had the opportunity to ask the many questions about Jordan I had.
This experience surely was the great Jordanian hospitality I read of. If it was another country, I would have been much more paranoid and thought that this was part of a scam, but no such thing! So, Abdalla and Hamze, thank you for your hospitality and giving me more insight into your wonderful country.
I still did not find the ‘Salt Traditional Craft Centre’ before I left, but that just did not seem important anymore.

• Pros:Many
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:Salt deserves a visit when you are in Jordan
  • Last visit to As Salt: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2009

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Dag Skat A great page. I am SO looking forward to our Jordan trip. I have heard about the Jordanian hospitality- amper soos SA!! Great pictures as usual.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Hi Pierre, Salt city looks nice place to visit with its architecture. thanks for sharing. Bora

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Great page, Pierre, thanx! Greetings to RSA! <><><>

PierreZA

“Experience, enjoy, share”

Badges & Stats in As Salt

Have you been to As Salt?

Latest Activity in As Salt