"Galle & the beautiful coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Galle by PierreZA
Galle Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 214 photos
The city of Galle is the 4th biggest in Sri Lanka.
The main attraction of the city is most probably the well preserved Dutch Fort. It is not difficult to find the entrance to the Fort. At first, I was a bit disappointed with what I saw & is also the place I was harassed the most in Sri Lanka (there are many Gem Shops and touts around).
Walking the Ramparts at sunset is very pleasant. There are some beautifully restored buildings, but also many in a very bad state.
There are churches to visit, like the Dutch reformed and Anglican Church. There is also The National Museum if you have time.
My most pleasant memory of Galle was watching locals playing cricket just outside the Fort during sunset.
The Fort area is great for photography, and especially during sunset.
(The Tourist Information in Dharmapala Park was not of much help.)
Unawatuna is most probably where pictures are taken for postcards. It is a beautiful small bay, lined with restaurants, a temple and small guesthouses etc.
The advantage of this village is that it is off the main road, which makes it more secluded. The village is home to nice shops, small hotels, restaurants, auyervedic massage places etc.
What I further enjoyed was the fact that it was not overcrowded at all.
Unawatuna is about 5km from Galle, so taking a 3-wheeler is just fine.
My 3-wheel driver took me to a turtle hatchery, Koggala Lake, Kataluwa Purwarama Temple, and could find no fishermen on stilts.
This coastal area is very beautiful and one should take your time exploring.
- In a nutshell:Stay at The Closenberg and explore Galle and surrounds
Cricket is a passion in Sri Lanka. At sunset, a few local guys were playing a match on the open field between the Fort... more travel advice
This is one of many restaurants along the beach front in Unawatuna. The 3-wheel driver reccomended it to me. The tables... more travel advice
PierreZA's Related Pages
Galle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colonial Galle"
- "It aint half hot mum!"
- "Cultural gem in southern Sri Lanka."
- "Galle Fort - A World Heritage Site"
- "Galle & the beautiful coast"
- "GALLE - not much change since colonial times !"
- "The Dutch Colony"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galle
- Hotels in Galle
- Transportation in Galle
- Nightlife in Galle
- Restaurants in Galle
- Shopping in Galle
- Warnings and Dangers in Galle
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nürnberg Hotels
- Peng Chau Island Hotels
- Salvador da Bahia
- Porto Santo Island
- Washington State
- Lago Albano
- West Lorne Hotels
- Bonneville Salt Flats State Park Hotels
- Perumalmalai Hotels
- Greater Accra Region
- Bukit Mertajam
- Kota Kinabalu
- Burks Falls Hotels
Badges & Stats in Galle
- 13 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Galle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galle
Photos in GalleSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Galle hotel reviews
- Lighthouse Hotel
- 590 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Galle Fort Hotel
- 451 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Closenberg Hotel
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- The Fortress
- 570 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Tamarind Hill
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Frangipani Tree
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Lady Hill
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Amangalla Resort
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013