"Kathmandu, revisited" Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu by PierreZA

Kathmandu Travel Guide: 909 reviews and 2,267 photos

Introduction

The early evening was cold and dark when we stood outside the airport waiting for our transport to Thamel. After a few minutes we were offered hotels, treks, excursions etc by the many touts around the airport. This was my first visit to Kathmandu and I was looking forward to explore a new city and country.

The first evening we met up with South African friends who are living and working in the Middle East. They have been to Nepal many, many times. We met at the Four Seasons Restaurant. During the first few hours of my stay in Kathmandu I experienced the very busy streets of Thamel, friendly waiters, power black outs, good food, South African wine, touts etc.

We stayed at Kathmandu Guesthouse, which is in the middle of Thamel. On arrival we had to move to a different hotel for the first night as they had a problem with a group of guests who needed to stay an extra night. At least we were upgraded fro the rest of our stay.

Despite being winter (December), it was not that cold and during the day it was possible to walk around in T-shirts. Although the days were a bit short, it was not a problem and I would visit during December again.

So, I just returned from my second visit to Kathmandu (March 2011) - and had a great time! This is such a magical, special city. Experiencing Holi in Kathmandu was a great bonus - the local people are great.

I would like to thank Songsong, my guide during this visit - for making it even better than the first visit!

What to do and see

There is a lot to do and see in Kathmandu. The ancient buildings in Durbar Square and the surroundings are one of the highlights.

Experience Buddism and Hinduism, almost intermingled. Visit Swayambhunath where the Monkey Temple sits high overlooking Kathmandu.
Even more impressive is the huge Stupa at Bodnath. Here you will see many Tibetans, monasteries, shops selling a wide variety, Buddhist monks etc.
The Hindu Temple at Pashupatnath gives a good idea of the Hinduism in Kathmandu. It is here where you will see the huge fires for the cremations on the banks of the Baghmati river.

Thamel with its many restaurants, bars, hotels, touts, taxis, shops etc is touristy, but fantastic.

Patan is almost part of Kathmandu, and you city you have to visit.
An amazing Durbar Square and other beautiful sights.

I enjoyed walking around, meeting the very friendly people, getting to know how they experience the city and learning what living in Kathmandu is about.

I want to go again

I would like to return to this great city. It is unfortunate that here are so many young people from Nepal wanting to leave the country for better opportunities. I do hope they will return to this wonderful city and country.
It is very easy to do day trips to great places in the Kathmandu Valley using the city as a base.
Bakhtapur is a must visit! It has become a bit expensive, but the money is used to keep this UNESCO world heritage city in a great condition.

• Last visit to Kathmandu: Mar 2011
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2011

• RudeR's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2014 at 10:40 PM

wow pierre you liked kathmandu, i love SA especially-cape town, garden route and durban in SA ...comming soon..

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2011 at 11:15 AM

~ Hello, Pierre! Great trip! The capital is impressive indeed..... Thanks for sharing!~

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Interesting page with a lot of useful info.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2009 at 6:57 AM

I would love to visit Kathmandu and when I do plan a trip I'll certainly come back to your informative tips. The Buddha Bar sounds great :-) Good hotel and shopping advice too - thanks!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Nice new additional tip,Pierre!

• Behi's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 2:03 PM

You did a great job in discovering Nepal. I have enjoyed your tips and photos.

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Hi Pierre. Great page. Looks like an interesting place to visit. Greetings, Klaus

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Hi Pierre, I enjoyed reading your informative tips. Best. Laszlo

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Pierre, thank you for visiting my Kathmandu page of my visit of almost 20 years ago. Keep me informed when you have built your page. I am interested in your recent experiences.

PierreZA

“Experience, enjoy, share”

Badges & Stats in Kathmandu

Have you been to Kathmandu?

Latest Activity in Kathmandu