"Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix" Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai by PierreZA
Mumbai Travel Guide: 2,011 reviews and 4,035 photos
Mumbai was my introduction to India a few years ago. It is a city to experience - and not easy to describe.
A mixture of chaos, spirituality, poverty, great food, Bollywood and fantastic people. It is a massive city with more than 16 million people.
I just returned from my 4th visit to this great city.
In many Western Cities, a beautiful picture of a clean, well organised city is offered (to tourists) - Mumbai doesn't hide anything. You see the real Mumbai, not a small "tourist" area created by the government.
I don't think it is a city many people would consider to be a favourite, but do give Mumbai a fair chance; you might like it !
I cannot think that I will ever become tired of this wonderful city.
Here it seems that Hindu’s, Christians, Muslims, Jains, Sikhs, Parsi’s etc all live seemingly happily together. You will even find a synagogue – which is still in use.
I do think a first visit can be quite overwhelming. But, there is a lot to do and experience - so give it a go!
• Visit Chowpatty Beach in the evening
• Experience the atmosphere and people at the Gateway of India.
• Meet some locals and spend some time with them
• Visit temples and other religious buildings
• Watch cricket at Oval Maidan
• Visit buildings like Victoria Terminus
• Markets galore (Crawford, Coloba, Chor)
Mumbai is more expensive than most other cities I visited in India
Take a pre-paid taxi from the airport
There are plenty ATM's for cash
Do respect the many different religions and cultures you find here
Great for photography - but can be VERY hazy
- In a nutshell:A Fantastic and Exciting city !
This one of my favourite buildings in Mumbai. It was built in 1870. The David Sassoon Library and Reading Room is a... more travel advice
This shop stocks all the latest CD's and DVD's. The staff look quite a bit older compared to those at PlanetM - dressed... more travel advice
PierreZA's Related Pages
Mumbai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mumbai (Bombay)"
- "My Second Home"
- "Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
- "Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"
- ""my" Gateway of India..."
- "Mumbai, Bombay....its all the same..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mumbai
- Hotels in Mumbai
- Transportation in Mumbai
- Nightlife in Mumbai
- Restaurants in Mumbai
- Shopping in Mumbai
- Warnings and Dangers in Mumbai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mumbai
- 47 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Mumbai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mumbai
Photos in MumbaiSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 47 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 43 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 35 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos
- Cairo Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos