"Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix" Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai by PierreZA

Mumbai Travel Guide: 2,011 reviews and 4,035 photos

Experience Mumbai

Mumbai was my introduction to India a few years ago. It is a city to experience - and not easy to describe.
A mixture of chaos, spirituality, poverty, great food, Bollywood and fantastic people. It is a massive city with more than 16 million people.

I just returned from my 4th visit to this great city.

In many Western Cities, a beautiful picture of a clean, well organised city is offered (to tourists) - Mumbai doesn't hide anything. You see the real Mumbai, not a small "tourist" area created by the government.

I don't think it is a city many people would consider to be a favourite, but do give Mumbai a fair chance; you might like it !

I cannot think that I will ever become tired of this wonderful city.

Here it seems that Hindu’s, Christians, Muslims, Jains, Sikhs, Parsi’s etc all live seemingly happily together. You will even find a synagogue – which is still in use.

I do think a first visit can be quite overwhelming. But, there is a lot to do and experience - so give it a go!

Highlights

• Visit Chowpatty Beach in the evening
• Experience the atmosphere and people at the Gateway of India.
• Food
• Shopping
• Meet some locals and spend some time with them
• Visit temples and other religious buildings
• Watch cricket at Oval Maidan
• Visit buildings like Victoria Terminus
• Markets galore (Crawford, Coloba, Chor)

Some Practical Tips

Mumbai is more expensive than most other cities I visited in India
Take a pre-paid taxi from the airport
There are plenty ATM's for cash
Do respect the many different religions and cultures you find here
Great for photography - but can be VERY hazy

• Cons:Pollution
  • In a nutshell:A Fantastic and Exciting city !
  • Last visit to Mumbai: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Thanks for your interesting page, Pierre!)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Great page

• TXgal's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Great tips! I'm looking forward to my visit!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

The vibrant city certainly has a lot of great architectural sites. YOu did a very nice job of telling the story and showing the monuments

• Amar_kirale's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 4:57 AM

Do you know that the Daba walla association has got 6-Sigma affiliation. It a great achievement. Many MNCs and fortune 500 companies across the world are still struggling to achieve 6 Sigma

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2009 at 4:38 AM

Good updates for Mumbai, Pierre. I also amamazed at those Dhaba-wallahs. How do thy get it so right?? By the way- Howrah Station(Kolkata) may also be one of the busiest stations in Asia-its complete chaos.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Hi Pierre! Great info on Mumbai here, all deserving of 5 little orange stars :-) I hope to see more of Mumbai one day but for now, I'm expanding my knowledge on Scotland! Greetings / Jess

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 5:09 AM

Another great page.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM

A very nostalgiac trip down the memory lane for me-especially the Colaba area where I grew up and worked.The OVAL maidan where we played our interschool Cricket matches!

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Great photos and info on Bombay. I might be going there in Feb, though still planning it. Thanks for sharing.

PierreZA