"Colourful Cochin (Kochi)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi by PierreZA

Kochi Travel Guide: 444 reviews and 1,069 photos

Tickle all senses

Kerala is different to any other place I've visited before in India. Kerela is on the West Coast (the Malabar Coast) of South India. Kochi is a city consisiting of a few islands, and Ernakulam on the mainland.
Experience the smells, sights, natural beauty, art and customs of this wonderful place.
A friend and I stayed in Fort Cochin for 5 nights. It is easy to do daytrips from here. There is also a lot to do in Fort Cochin, but don't forget to visit Ernakulam for a different experience.
Great south Indian cuisine, art forms like Kathakali, Jew Town, Backwaters, Religious Festivals and many more are there to experience.
I just returned from my second visit to Cochin (Oct 2008). The most obvious change, is that all the "you buy - we fry" fish stands are removed. It is a pity, as it created a lovely atmosphere, especially during the evenings. According to some of the fish sellers, it was a government decision.

Ten things to do, see, experience.

1. Backwater trip
10.Do make time to visit Ernakulam

Usefull links:
www.cochin.org
www.keralatourism.org

• Pros:Great People, Food and many more
  • Cons:Humidity and heat during March when we visited
  • In a nutshell:Can't wait to go again!
  • Last visit to Kochi: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Hello, my friend! Thanks for your great page, Pierre!

• Bohemedream's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I am heading back to India in the spring...your pages are very helpful !! Thank you !! I plan to go to Cochin and Kerala this time around !! Cheers !!! One of these days, maybe next year, I plan to come to Africa !!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 5:53 AM

India is still on my wish list. Lovely page nice tips. Just uploaded many tips about my recent trip to Turkey. Would appreciate if you could visit and rate me ;-)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Pierre- this place fascinates me. Your page is very informative-its amazing to realise that there is sill a Jewish Community here.On our next trip(2010 and already being planned)we are going to Kerala. I will use your tips for sure!

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 3:21 PM

You will love Jaisalmer and Jodhpur. But your great informative page gets me more interested in Kerala now!

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2008 at 7:11 AM

Great page on Kerala... It does seem very very cheap... especially the ferry.. haha. Will hopefully get to check it out one day. G

• Behi's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 1:52 PM

whole religion gathered in Kochi, is there Parsi/Zoroasterian in Kochi??

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Yours is a great Kerala page. Kerala is always on my wish-list, but I would need at least 12 days, which is difficult for me. Thank you for visiting my Laos page.

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Very nice Kochi overview.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Great reading your pages on india and kerala.Hope to visit South africa soon....G'day from sydney

PierreZA