"Jacksonville, Florida" Jacksonville by hollsterhambone

Jacksonville Travel Guide: 418 reviews and 914 photos

Fresh Meat

I haven't spent much time in Jacksonville as I just moved here from Tucson, AZ. In some ways I feel a lot like a visitor and less like a resident. I'm sure that will change soon enough as I become more familiar with the area. I'm interested in cataloguing the restaurants, bars, theaters, and venues that I find, so I figured this was a good place to do that. Feel free to comment about anything you read, here, or offer me suggestions regarding what I should be doing in Jacksonville.

Sliders Oyster Bar

218 1st St
Neptune Beach, FL 32266
(904) 246-0881

I adored Sliders in Neptune Beach. A top priority of mine was finding a place to eat excellent raw oysters in Jacksonville, and I certainly found that place in Sliders. They oysters were a wonderfully generous size and deliciously fresh--served with lemon, cocktail sauce, and fresh horseradish. On Thursday's Sliders has an oyster special--about five or six dollars for a dozen Gulf oysters. On Thursdays Sliders also has a beer special; last Thursday Coronas were two dollars a bottle. During the rest of the week Sliders charges about seven or eight dollars per dozen Gulf oysters. In my book, that's still a pretty good deal!

The Sliders in Neptune Beach, I believe, is owned by the same people who own the Sliders on Amelia Island.

Sliders on Neptune Beach

Sliders on Amelia Island

Sake House Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar

824 Lomax St
Jacksonville, FL 32204
(904) 301-1188

This place serves extremely fresh and tasty sushi. Located in Historic Five Points, the building itself is nestled in between galleries, antique shops, coffeehouses, and bars. I went with three other people and we ordered a bottle of sake, seven rolls, and four pieces of nigiri and our bill came to $65. Not bad at all for such quality.

There are several types of seating available. You can sit at "normal" tables or enjoy the traditional-looking tables (but you have to take off your shoes for this). Very, very fun. Overall, the place feels very welcoming and well-decorated--lots of attention to detail. This would be a good place to take a hot date, but it's also fun to go with a group of people.

Review of Sake House

Starlite Cafe

Also located in Historic Five Points, Starlite Cafe is "more of a saloon than a cafe," according to this website. It serves lots of good beers on tap (Bass, Blue Moon, etc.) and books live music gigs. It hangs art by local artists on the walls and plays indie music of the late 80's and early 90's vintage. In all, it's a funky place to hang out for a bit and sample beers and talk with friends. Outdoor seating as well as indoor seating makes it nice for those who smoke when they drink.

Sushi House

9810 Baymeadows Rd Ste 12
Jacksonville, FL 32256
(904) 997-0966

Not to be confused with the aforementioned Sake House. This sushi restaraunt is much different: located in a strip mall on the southside of Jacksonville, this sushi place is affordable and easily accessed in its St. John's Town Center location. I ate with one other person and we ordered four rolls and two pieces of nigiri. Including tip we spent $30. This is a good place to go for spur-of-the-moment sushi--a sort of unplanned, "What are we going to do for dinner this evening?" answer. Nice atmosphere for a strip mall.

Sushi House reviews

Fly's Tie Irish Pub

177 Sailfish Dr E
Atlantic Beach, FL 32233-4126
(904) 246-4293

I've been to Fly's Tie twice and both times I enjoyed it. The first time I met a few people by the bar and instantly became involved in conversation with them. I found the other patrons ranged in age from 21 to 35, but most comfortably hovered in the 25-28 range. They have a really nice selection of beers on tap and indoor as well as outdoor seating. It's a bit full at all times, so come early if you want a seat. Also, this place is fairly low-key, but tends to get rowdy on Friday and Saturday nights between 11:00 and 1:00. Definitley not your typical bar that caters to youngsters, but a "younger" bar than some.

Fly's Tie website

Cruiser's

319 23rd Ave S
Jacksonville Bch, FL 32250-4026
(904) 270-0356

Since I moved to Jacksonville I've been here four times. It's right off of A1A in the strip mall plaza where that cool, import store rents space. If you're in the mood for a greasy burger and all you want to do is put a sweatshirt over your pajamas, get in your car right away and go here. Get a cheeseburger (sans mustard because they put too much mustard on their burgers) and a basket of onion rings and a rootbeer float. You won't want another meal until tomorrow. Yum! Caveat: sometimes the fries are too salty for my taste.

The Beach Hut

1281 3rd St S
Jacksonville Bch, FL 32250-6409
(904) 249-3516

I love this place. The staff is incredibly friendly and it has a ridiculously "homey" feel. If you're into countryfried steak, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, bottomless cups of coffee, then this is the place for you. Oh and their white gracy is to die for. Come early, though, because the place closes at 2:00 P.M. It's only open for breakfast and lunch.

Reviews

• Pros:Amazing weather, pretty beach, friendly people
  • Cons:Not quite a cosmopolitan city, but working on it
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2007

Comments

hollsterhambone Lives Here!

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Jacksonville

Have you been to Jacksonville?

Latest Activity in Jacksonville