"Newport News, VA" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport News by davecallahan
Newport News Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 100 photos
Tradition says that the name came from the fact that "news" arrived here first that Captain "Newport" was bringing supplies to the Jamestown area.
The town was first settled in 1621. since then it has grown to a city of about 180000 people. The city is loosely divided into about 20 neighborhoods along racial, ethnic, historic and pecuniary groupings.
a good website for tourists to check-out is for Newport news info is:
ZIPCODES for Newport News are:
23601 through 23609, 23612, 23628
Area Code 757
City Hall is 037-03-46N 076-30-29W
The city seal shows a tree and a few ships. The ships are the Godspeed , the Susan Constant and the Discovery; ships under Captain Newport's command. The tree is the elm tree which is a symbol for the place (in the shade of the elm tree) where the Warwick Commision (court) was held.
The symbol is also used in other official emblems like the Police badge.
I need earlugs when I go into their dining area ala warehouse. It is a high-ceiling affair with no wall coverings and... more travel advice
Whenever we go into an unfamiliar large city, we always ask the motel staff about what areas we need to avoid (if any)... more travel advice
davecallahan's Related Pages
Newport News Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mariner's Museum"
- "Spot odd"
- "Newport News, VA"
- "Ocean, Ships, Wars"
- "chipandbrend's new Newport News Page"
- "Newport News: Maritime City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport News
- Nightlife in Newport News
- Restaurants in Newport News
- Shopping in Newport News
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport News
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport News
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (761)
Have you been to Newport News?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport News
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester Intro, 106 reviews, 240 photos, 5 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canandaigua Intro, 31 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Irondequoit Intro, 28 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Charlotte Intro, 20 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Corydon Intro, 29 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York State Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos
- Pittsford Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Henrietta Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Webster Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.