"Watertown, NY.... visit summers never winters" Top 5 Page for this destination Watertown by davecallahan
Watertown Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 28 photos
Watertown is a village, a town and a city all rolled into one area.
Watertown is fairly easy to get to. You can take Interstate 81 north to exits 44,45 or 46. You can take the scenic route (which we did) along route 3 (this gets you to the same place as I-81, exit 45).
If you want the inside scoop on Watertown activities then see their online newspaper: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/
Wikipedia info: medium sized town of 27000 people from 6500 families making household incomes of about $35000.
the official city website is: http://www.citywatertown.org/
the official town website is: http://www.watertown.ny.us/
ZIPCODES 13601 through 13603 are Watertown, the county seat in Jefferson County
Area Code 315
City Hall is 043-58-25N 075-54-36W
Town Hall is 043-56-06N 075-55-06W
The town growth was originally due to the Black River used for commerce and for water power for mills. Then the military put Fort Drum in the area and growth spurted again then died out. Watertown suffered economic and population decline in the late 20th century.
the public square in Watertown is on the National Registry of Historic Places.
the arcade at the public square (Paddock Arcade) is the oldest covered mall in America.
the city seal for Watertown shows the importance of the Black River to the city's industrial growth.
Harry Chapin (vocal artist) wrote his song, "A Better Place to Be",about Watertown, where he said he "spent a week there one afternoon".
Trivia: Woolworths Department Store (Five and Dime) was conceived in his hometown suburb near Watertown but, for financial reasons, was first opened in Utica,NY.... Predecessor to Huffy Corporation (bicycles) was Mr. Huffy's Sewing Machine Company in Watertown.... those little pinetree air-fresheners that you have hanging from your car mirror were invented in Watertown
I don't think I have ever had a bad experience at an Applebee's. It is always a safe bet for a good meal in a strange... more travel advice
This is a fairly comprehensive mall with stores for all age groups and needs. The directory includes Aeropostale,... more travel advice
davecallahan's Related Pages
Watertown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Watertown, NY.... visit summers never winters"
- "drjoynt's new Watertown page"
- "Joe1120's new Watertown Page"
- "inzspot's new Watertown Page"
- "Great White North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Watertown
- Hotels in Watertown
- Restaurants in Watertown
- Shopping in Watertown
- Warnings and Dangers in Watertown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Watertown
- 12 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (762)
Have you been to Watertown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Watertown
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester Intro, 106 reviews, 240 photos, 5 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canandaigua Intro, 31 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Irondequoit Intro, 28 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Charlotte Intro, 20 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Corydon Intro, 29 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York State Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos
- Pittsford Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Henrietta Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Webster Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.