Brighton Things to Do Tips by davecallahan
Brighton Things to Do: 2 reviews and 4 photos
(from the ads)
This museum was the private home and business establishment of the Stone family who ran an inn here in the early 1800s. The building itself is 18th century construction (with as little renovation as possible) and represents the type of living on the "frontier" that was Western New York (an original colony) of that era.
Brighton area town politics were a major topic in the tavern in its day. All of the objects in the home are original to the premises and have been authenticated by the Landmark Society.
Entrance fee is a nominal $2 and donations to the landmark society are accepted.
The entrance times are very minimal (noon to 3pm on Friday and Saturday). A tour guide will give you all the information about each of the rooms and the significance of items in the rooms (kitchen, foyer, dining area, sleeping area, sitting room). There is a short walk around the garden area and the path to the "outhouse".
Address: 2370 East Avenue
Highland Park is on the west edge of Brighton and provides some nice areas for picnicing, hiking, birding and the annual Lilac Festival. It is well manicured and landscaped, it has some handicap-accessible paved paths and benches for resting. The park is often used as a backdrop for weddings so don't be surprised to see people in gowns and tuxes on the grounds.
The park has along its perimeter, Mt. Hope Cemetary, Warner Castle and the Civic Garden Center, the Highland Bowl ampitheater, Frederick Douglas Square, Lamberton Conservatory.
The park is not too large to transverse in a couple hours of walking but it is an up-down park with plenty of hilly sections. A walking tour could start at Mt. Hope Avenue up along Robinson Drive then a jog south on South Avenue to Reservoir Avenue which takes you to Bellevue Drive and the heart of the park. Continue on Bellevue Drive to Goodman St and south to Highland Avenue and west to South Avenue again.
More Reviews (12)
- See All old fashioned submarines
- Genesee Valley Golf Course
- See All Annual Frederick Douglas Festival
davecallahan's Related Pages
Brighton Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Brighton
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Warnings and Dangers in Brighton
- See All...
Explore the World
- Coral Springs Hotels
- Manitoulin Island Hotels
- Orebic Hotels
- Skudeneshavn Hotels
Badges & Stats in Brighton
- 14 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Brighton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brighton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester Intro, 106 reviews, 240 photos, 5 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canandaigua Intro, 31 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Irondequoit Intro, 28 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Charlotte Intro, 20 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Corydon Intro, 29 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York State Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos
- Pittsford Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Henrietta Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Webster Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.