"LIMNOS" Limnos Island by STRATOS79
Limnos Island Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 87 photos
Limnos is the 8 th largest island of Greece with an area of 476 square kilometers located in the northern Aegean Sea, between the Mount Athos, and Samothraki, Gokceada and Agios Efstratios island.
Hephaestus god of metallurgy fell in Limnos when his father Zeus throw him out of Olympus mountain and become lame.The people of the island, treated him and in return he taught the art of metalworking, setting up his workshop in a volcano Also Jason how was another mythological hero who was the leader of the Argonauts in his quest to find the Golden Fleece. The Argonauts landing in Limnos on their journey to Colchis remained the island for several years and left many descendants
In Iliad Homer mention the Pelasgians who lived in the island of Limnos and were allies of Troy. Limnos was conquered by the Darius the Great in 511BC. But in 510 BC it was recaptured by Miltiades, the tyrant of the Greek colonies on the Thracian Chersonese. Miltiades later returned to Athens and Limnos became an Athenian possession. During Macedonian domination, it is conquered by Phillip, in 353 B.C. the island is conquered by Romans, in 166 B.C .
Byzantine and Ottoman period
. From 267 to 269 A.D the island suffers from the raids of Goths
In 395 with the division of the Roman Empire the island passed to the Byzantine Empire.With the fall of Constantinople Ottomans seize Limnos in 1460.During the War of Candia better known as the Fifth Ottoman Venetian War between the Republic of Venice and her allies against the Ottoman Empire from 1684 to 1699 Venetians seize the island only for a while. In 1770, the castle was siege by land and sea, lasts three months by Count Alexios Orlov during the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-1774
In 1913 during the First Balkan war Rear Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis, leader of Greek fleet defeat the ottomans in the Battle of Limnos making the island part of Greece In 1915 during world war I moudros harbor was used by the allies (250 English-French warships) try to capture the Dardanelles Straits
In April 1941, the invasion of Lemnos by Nazi Germany and stays under their occupation till October 1944.
STRATOS79's Related Pages
Limnos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Windy island!"
- "Limnos island"
- "Limnos -- Island in the Sun !!"
- "Prefecture of Lesvos"
- "Limnos island, Greece"
- "Limnos or Lemnos, The Land of Hephaestus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Limnos Island
- Hotels in Limnos Island
- Transportation in Limnos Island
- Restaurants in Limnos Island
- Shopping in Limnos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Limnos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Limnos Island
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Limnos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Limnos Island
Photos in Limnos IslandSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 82 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Phuket Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 42 reviews, 77 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gold Coast Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue