"Oldguy's travels" oldguy472003's Profile

Puerto Vallarta to bring in the New Year

2010 could definately have been a better year. We decided to say goodbye with a nice warm quiet trip for two. What a lovely time! Warm, yes but not necessarily quiet. So much to do and see in this wonderful friendly city. Great excursions with Vallarta Adventures, I've posted a short video from the Marietas Islands tour.

Spain's Southeast Coast, Gibraltar and Tangier

While our daughter was attending college in Murcia we visited for a few weeks at the end of February. It was rainy and cool about half the time, but all in all a nice visit. Granada is a beautiful city, a day in Tangier was an experience to be remembered and Gibraltar was great fun.

A few weeks in London and Southern England

Southern England is famous for nasty weather but it was wonderful in June 2009. We split our time between visiting London and traveling the south by rail pass. I fell in love with the countryside and seashore around Dover. The isle of Wight was a beautiful out of the way spot, and portsmouth and Southampton were a lot of fun. My wife liked London Best. A quick Saturday night in Paris via eurostar rounded the trip out very well. Thanks for the loads of great advice from VT friends before we left.

Christmas in Cancun.

This year we and our two adult children spent Christmas just South of Cancun at an H10 resort. It really was wonderfull, check my hotel tip for the H10 Ocean Turquesa. What a wonderful place full of friendly people.

Cuba on a cold day

The coldest day we had in Cuba was still warmer than the hottest day we had in Germany. Cuba was a delight and a real adventure. We stayed in a small resort far away from the nearest town and ten KM off the paved road. We got to know some of the local people and absolutely loved the country.

Europe and only visited one country?

Our next trip to Europe was to spend 10 days in Germany. We loved Germany when we were there 23 years prior and wanted to see what was new. Guess what, it was cold and wet for half the time... I have a feeling we'll be going somewhere warm next..

Margarita Venezuela

Although Portugal was lovely, it was a bit cool in March. Our next trip was to within 10 degrees of the Equator. Now the quandry, I love Europe but My wife likes heat!

Getting back into it.

Now the kids are grown we are finally getting back into traveling.
Recent trips = Portugal in 06, Margarita Island (Ven), & Germany for Octoberfest in 07, Cuba, Las Vegas and Cancun in 08, back to Vegas and England in 09, Spain in February 2010 and Puerto Vallarta in December.

Traveled Europe By bike when I was a kid and by railpass with my wife before we started our family. Now the kids are grown and we are hitting the road as the opportunities present.

The world awaits..

• Intro Updated Aug 16, 2011

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Hi

Thanks for visiting my homepage, and nice comment...

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM

nice writeups and pics here on your HP of some of your lovely visits!

• Mar 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM

thanks a lot for yr reply on my post DUS to MUC, especially for the train tip. -- Thomas

• krissy8's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 5:33 AM

Thanks for replying to my post on wasps. Really appreciated! Krissy :)

• soglad's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Thank you for advice about travel from Hungary to Romania to Croatia. This is a wonderful way to help an inexperienced traveler.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Hi, Want some heat, great beaches, and good people, come downunder to Australia. Queensland , Whitsundays, Hamilton Island, New South Wales North Coast, a delight end of Feb to Sept. Taxi Portugal, Trouble?

• averageyorkshirejoe's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Thanks for portugal advice, we were thinking of one of the longer trips but glad you metioned all the hotel stop-offs-my husband would not have been a happy bunny ha ha and it doesnt seem worth all that time on a coach.thanks again

• Apr 5, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Thank you for responding to my post in travel blogging versus guide book. this is for a college project, so I appreciate your reply as it has helped me out.

• Mar 16, 2008 at 10:43 AM

I am from pakistan, i intend visiting my brother who is a doctor in detroit.thanks for the useful information.i along with my wife and children intend visiting my sister-in-law in calgary by road.bye and keep in touch. Arshad

• LanceDelacroix's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Thanks for your help re. the bridge between SD and NE. Much appreciated!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
oldguy472003's Profile Photo

oldguy472003

“For heaven sake get going or get out of the way!”

Ranked Member