"Haikou, Hainan Island." Haikou by veritasvincit

Haikou Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 38 photos

Haikou, China's Hawaii? I Don't Think So.

I flew Tiger Airways from Singapore to Haikou, the only international airport on Hainan Island. The plane took off at an unearthly hour of 0605 and we had to be at Changi Airport two hours before, so it was a very short night.

Incidentally Tiger Airways is the only carrier to fly non-stop between Singapore and Haikou. There were four in our group.

Upon our arrival, we attempted to get a taxi and was immediately pounced upon by a person who claimed he was a taxi driver. He showed me documentation to that effect, and even had on a uniform. I suspected a ruse and set about looking for the taxi line which I eventually found some distance from the arrival gate. He prove he was a bona fide taxi driver, he brought us to the airport information desk and asked the person there to tell us that he was a taxi driver. She squirmed but had to vouch for him or else there would probably be trouble for herself later. At the official taxi line, there was a large sign warning people not to use illegal taxis. Pretty useless sign as I had passed the "touting" area already.

• Last visit to Haikou: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2007

veritasvincit's Related Pages

veritasvincit

“Tourist in my own town”

Ranked Member