"Roermond - wat is da schoon" Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond by CathyOKelly

Roermond Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 147 photos

Roermond - always something new

Roermond adopted me in 1988. This city, not too big and not too small, on the rivers Maas (Meuse) and Roer. It has a history going back to the bronze age. I know because I've dug alot of it up! Even though I'm Irish, I'm proud to be a Roermondenaar. I think this city has everything.
Because it wasn't badly damaged in the wars, alot of beautiful architecture still thrives here. The Munsterkerk (1229) is often photographed - but there is so much more. I love looking up at the carved stone characters adorning most of the city center buildings. Inspirational

Shopping....I'm sure I could use this....

I work in the city center. During my lunch break I get a chance to pick one of the many routes I've set out for myself. I've "invented" 6 shopping routes criscrossing the citycenter. Each route has alot of different shops and shopping centers. "Fun" shopping, "clothes" shopping, "should I ever become a grandmother" shopping or just plain "I deserve this" shopping is always on my lunchtime schedule.
There are several (and brand new) shopping centers in the area. The outletcenter ( 8 min. walk to center) is supposed to be the second biggest public "trekker" in the country. Being on the German and Belgian borders help I suppose! Markets on Wednesdag and Saturday.

• Intro Updated Dec 28, 2008

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Thank you for your birthday wishes and visit to Bologna. Your photo of Roermond is amazing. Maybe I'll make it there when I go to Holland next. Cheers! M

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Great tips and photos. I can only imagine how crazy Roermond must be during Carnival! Best from New Jersey, Bill

CathyOKelly Lives Here!

CathyOKelly

“somewhere over the rainbow...”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Roermond

Have you been to Roermond?

Latest Activity in Roermond