"Schaffhausen and the Rhine Falls" Schaffhausen by Kid-A
Schaffhausen Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 606 photos
A beautiful city in northern Switzerland. If you're traveling through Germany's black forest area, or are near Zürich, you should make a day trip to Schaffhausen.
The old portion of the city has many fine Renaissance era buildings decorated with exterior frescos and sculpture.
And there's the nearby Rhine Falls in Neuhausen am Rheinfall, Europe's largest waterfall, and a tourist attraction. You will see signs directing you to this place all over the city!
Schaffhausen was a city-state in the Middle Ages, documented to have struck its own coins starting in 1045. For a time it was under Habsburg domination, but regained its independence in 1415. It allied itself with Zürich in 1457, and became a full member of the Swiss Confederation in 1501. The first railroad came to Schaffhausen in 1857.
Schaffhausen is located in a finger of Swiss territory surrounded on three sides by Germany.
This is the most original Romanesque church construction of Switzerland -- an impressive basilica. Its' construction... more travel advice
Kid-A's Related Pages
Schaffhausen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In searching for waterfalls on the Rhine"
- "Schaffhausen, the Rhine Falls, and a VT Meeting"
- "A NATURE WONDER"
- "Schaffhausen - A little look into Switzerland"
- "Schaffhausen and Rheinfalls"
- "Rhine Falls, near the town of Schaffhausen"
- "Schaffhausen and the Rhine Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schaffhausen
- Hotels in Schaffhausen
- Transportation in Schaffhausen
- Nightlife in Schaffhausen
- Restaurants in Schaffhausen
- Shopping in Schaffhausen
- Warnings and Dangers in Schaffhausen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schaffhausen
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Schaffhausen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schaffhausen
Photos in SchaffhausenSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaiserslautern Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ile de Jerba Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livingstone Intro, 13 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaborone Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Izmir Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rosmalen Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gouvernorat de Tataouine Intro, 2 reviews, 24 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos